Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: sludge removal

Post Thanks / Like

Default sludge removal

Anybody got any tips for removing about a 1/16" layer of sludge that used to be gasoline? Inside a carburator. Carb cleaner did nothing to it at all. I have it soaking in clean gasoline now hoping that will work. And I can't afford a new carb. It's a nice Holley 4-barrel that goes on a Bronco. Well, it was a nice Holley.

Post Thanks / Like

i would try sea foam it couldnt hurt you should be able to pick it up at advanced auto or maybe a napa auto parts its good stuff
    is that a bite...YEAH FISH DONT HAVE HANDS

Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming you mean the spray type carb cleaner didn't work. You might get better results with the cleaner that comes in a gallon can. It has a basket in it to hold the carb. My diesel mechanic buddy says that's the best cleaner. It's between 20-30 bucks I think.
    Do gooder since April 26, 2009!

Post Thanks / Like

ShellQuacker, is right on. That is the best for cleaning carb parts. But is $$$, But worth it. You might check with your local car part stores and see if they know of a carb rebuilder in your area. Then see what it would cost to just dip your parts.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Lacquer thinner is what we used to clean hard to clean parts years ago. I, at one time built race engines with my brother. He would blow them up in about 3 months and we would start all over again.
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

try boiling it in a pot of water. slowly increase the temp from cold to hot. boiling them cleans them better than just about anything. i know this sounds crazy but it works.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShellQuacker View Post
    I'm assuming you mean the spray type carb cleaner didn't work. You might get better results with the cleaner that comes in a gallon can. It has a basket in it to hold the carb. My diesel mechanic buddy says that's the best cleaner. It's between 20-30 bucks I think.

Thats some good stuff. I've got some made by Gunk. Just be sure to wash any off if you get it on you.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShellQuacker View Post

Yup. Chemtool carb cleaner in a gallon can was $20. But that stuff is AWESOME!! soaked for about 15 minutes and it looks like new.