Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Aftermarket bolt on receiver/trailer hitch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aftermarket bolt on trailer hitch

I need to install a hitch on my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee to pull a pop-up camper. I've never had to bolt on one so I'm clueless as what to look for.
    Any recommendations?
    Will probably go with a Class III hitch just in case I need to tow something heavier plus that's what I have on my Jeep.
    Last edited by freeflow_23; 03-11-2008 at 11:16 AM.
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have an '02 grand cherokee limited and I put a hitch on it. I actually ordered the OEM part from MOPAR for mine, because I wanted it to look professional. It's actually really simple to put it on--you just have to take the bumper off and cut out a slot for the receiver.

If you want to go with an easier route, go to your local farm store and get a reese hitch. It will come with instructions on how to put it on--they are very simple!! Most require no drilling. If you can tighten a bolt, you're set!
    Good luck!
    -Shonn

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. What he said. I suggest Rural King if you have one close by. That's where I got one for my Cherokee and it was about $30 cheaper than anywhere else. Not sure if a grand is the same, but mine the hitch bolted through existing holes in the subframe. The issue was getting a wrench to the bolt heads (or nuts depending on how you do it) inside there. I had a buddy weld some flat stock to the bolts like washers so they wouldn't turn inside the frame rails. Plus it gave it more strength.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never put one on a Jeep but I did get one from U-haul for something. It bolted right up with no problems. Potsmouth Trailer might be a good bet too.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I put one on my wife's Grand Cherokee. I bought a round tube hitch from JC Whitney. I installed it right in the driveway with hand tools. It bolted right into existing holes in the frame. So easy one person can do it.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.