Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Fork Tx Big One

Cummins_4x4 Guest

Default Lake Fork Tx Big One

http://maasguns.com//pics/17crappie Part of a couple of limits we caught the other night.Here's my son (bearded fellow) and our friend with a string
    http://www.maasguns.com//pics/crappies We would have strung up another stringer but no more rope. We keep fish in ice chests on ice when caught when we're keeping them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yet another large crappie with torn up fins. Beginning to believe this is a sign of old age - like we get grey hair...............

Post Thanks / Like

Holy poop! How big is that cooler? I can't tell the length, the numbers are too small. That is a slob crappie. Beyond slab....to slob. Good job and nice fish!

Cummins_4x4 Guest

We had 2 that size you may be able to see them in the stringer piocture.Biggest was 17" long, the Minnow Bucket (famous Fork baitshop) was closed so we didn't weigh them.All other fish in pic are full 10 1/4" fish minimum.All fish caught on jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

I notice the yellow perch on the end there. They are just as good to eat as crappie. I miss the perch fishing back up in Maryland. There ain't none down here in South Georgia.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Fork Fish

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    I notice the yellow perch on the end there. They are just as good to eat as crappie. I miss the perch fishing back up in Maryland. There ain't none down here in South Georgia.
    Looks like a yellow bass to me. They're like a sandbass only much tastier and they don't get very big!
    On one trip to Fork we must have caught 25 of them around 10 or 11 inches and threw them all back.
    When we went in for the night the marina owner informed me I had thrown back some of the best eating fish (besides crappie) that I could have had.
    He was right! We don't throw them away anymore.

Mike Reddick
    Ft Worth, TX

Cummins_4x4 Guest

Mike you're right its a yellow bass commonly called barfish here.They are good eating,much better than a white bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah your right. I thought I had seen black vertical stripes on it at first glance. Yellow bass are very good eating. We catch them up in Tennessee of a tributary of the TN River in the spring. They run up the creek to spawn and its like taking candy from a baby for about a month. Fun fight on light tackle also.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure it's not a yellow perch? Whattadasay IBNFSHN?
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

Default yellow perch

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    I would have said the same thing a couple years ago till me and my dad caught a cooler full out of lake seminole in one afternoon. there also in the tenn river chain.