Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Lake...Campti

Post Thanks / Like

Default Black Lake...Campti

My fishing friend Dave and I are headed to Black Lake tomorrow to try the crappie again. Forecast says scattered storms, but we have been penned up in our respective houses too long to cancel out another trip. If they have started to school up we should do well, if not, we will catch what we can and be thankful we were able to be on the lake. Will post our results.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default No luck....

Another bust on Black Lake today....threw everything but the outboard at them. Spent the first 2 hours under a bridge waiting for a rainstorm to pass. We could see fish on the sonar everywhere we went, but they would have none of it. Total for the day.... one 9 1/2" crappie and 5 'gills. Today was the coolest (temp. wise) we've had, cloud cover and a nice breeze. Nice day, but no fillet.......

Super-Slab Guest

La Bill, the word is they are going to drain Black Lake. They have already drained Saline Lake for 180 days so fishing will be mighty slim here this winter. I'm going to have to try to find another hole to fish in.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bistineau also!

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Slab
    La Bill, the word is they are going to drain Black Lake. They have already drained Saline Lake for 180 days so fishing will be mighty slim here this winter. I'm going to have to try to find another hole to fish in.
    Super-Slab......Welcome to the LA board. I'm glad to finally have another N. LA member to trade reports with. They have already drawn Bistineau down to the channels, and they say that it will be repeated for several years. Thanks for reporting that info, it's the first I have heard those two lakes are being drained. I have mixed feelings about the drawdowns, they have been draining Bistineau in the winter every two to four years, but it hasn't killed the weeds. Hopefully, it will work out the best if the summer heat dries them to the point they won't return. The businesses and homeowners around the lake are raising cane, even though some of them have to struggle thru the moss and hyacinth just to reach their property. I guess we will have to wait to see the results before we know for sure. I'm sure you will find this site informative.... there are many seasoned crappie fishermen and women that use these boards, trading techniques and reports. Tell your fishing buddies about us, the more reports the better. I'm looking forward to your posts....and good luck!

Super-Slab Guest

Thanks La Bill. Saline lake is already down to where they have stopped all fishing on it for the duration. They are supposed to stock it with grass carp when they start filling it back up. Hope it does some good with the moss and hycianths. It had gotten so bad you couldn't use your trolling motor except towards the channel.Maybe it will all be worth it for next year.Will try to keep posting information when I get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Super-Slab.......

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Slab
    Thanks La Bill. Saline lake is already down to where they have stopped all fishing on it for the duration. They are supposed to stock it with grass carp when they start filling it back up. Hope it does some good with the moss and hycianths. It had gotten so bad you couldn't use your trolling motor except towards the channel.Maybe it will all be worth it for next year.Will try to keep posting information when I get it.

I got word from a buddy in Jonesboro that you can be fined for fishing Saline Lake. I knew there was not supposed to be any fishing there while it was down, but didn't know there would be a fine.

I haven't seen your posts lately, was wondering if you had been doing any fishing. I haven't been for a while myself, and I'm starting to get a taste of "cabin fever." Now that I think about it, seems I saw a post from you under a thread from Tommy. He is the most consistent in catching crappie during these slow periods. Let us know if you find 'em!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys,

As of last weekend they are NOT going to drain Black Lake this year. I have been in touch with a lot of people and the president of the lake commission doesn't want it drained. Personally....I don't want to see it drained either. We dealt with grass for 12 years while the state juggled around trying to build a damn, and we caught more fish out of it then than ever. The main concern is Water Hyson and draining will not get ride of that problem near as fast as high water will.
    I do know what came out of it but there was a meeting last Wednesday night and there may have been new info on draining, but as for now they are not going to drain it. Oh and Guys they are talking about putting grass carp in the lake. If you see a petition to keep them out...PLEASE SIGN IT!!!!
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    My fishing friend Dave and I are headed to Black Lake tomorrow to try the crappie again. Forecast says scattered storms, but we have been penned up in our respective houses too long to cancel out another trip. If they have started to school up we should do well, if not, we will catch what we can and be thankful we were able to be on the lake. Will post our results.....
    I can't believe you got busted. I will say this though. BL is though when the rains come. Did you fish big clear any? Thats where I have been doing most of my damage
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey, Tommy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    I can't believe you got busted. I will say this though. BL is though when the rains come. Did you fish big clear any? Thats where I have been doing most of my damage

We did fish big clear, but it was back in July when we were having all the bad weather. We fished the area around the RR Crossing sign and the boat road that goes to your camp. If memory serves, I think I caught two or three keepers, and Dave, for some unknown reason, couldn't catch crappie for the bream hitting his jig. We eventually got caught in a storm and hightailed it back to the landing after about 4 1/2 hours fishing....soaking wet.

I called Bass Pro this afternoon and they didn't have any more XPS's. But they did have the MC series. I don't know if the lad that answered the phone really knew what he was talking about, but he said the MC series, their most popular cam, was selling at $250.00. They had sold their last one yesterday, but a truck would be there tomorrow with more. I had visited Aqua-Vu's site prior to calling them, and had decided the MC looked to be my preference if the XPS wasn't available. I was surprised the MC was so affordable, it had all the amenities I wanted, but I had thought it would be in the $500 to $600 range. The clerk also mentioned he thought the XPS was a close out and they would probably not have a resupply of that model. Again, I'm not sure if he was very knowledgeable. The MC has the temp and the infrared and green lights. If they come in tomorrow, I'm probably going to own it. I don't think it has the depth readout, but I know how to get around that. Here is the site:

www.Aqua-Vu.com

Take a look and tell me what you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saline Lake?

I've been having lousy luck on my fishing trips. I came home all excited about the coolers full of fish, I was going to catch and haven't done squat.

Is there two Saline Lakes? I live near the Larto-Saline Lakes complex and can't imagine them draining it.---Pooch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast