Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Do you change jig colors for shooting docks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you change jig colors for shooting docks?

I am starting to shoot dock and I was wonder: Do you use a darker color for the shady areas of the dock? It seems like it would make sense, but it would be nice to get some opinions from those of you who have experience at this. I was thinking about using roadrunners. Thinking that maybe the blade action may get more bites. Any other tips/suggestions would be greatly apreciated.
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

The problem about using roadrunners for shooting docks would be the cost if you get hungup and have to break off.

I would guess the darker colors would work better in the deeply shaded area.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation dock shooters ....

that I know of, use 1/32 - 1/24 - 1/16oz jigheads ... with Panfish Assassins, solid body tubes, hollow body tubes, shad bodies, Slider bodies, and who knows what else :D -- colors range from blk/char, watermelon seed, pumpkin seed .... to pink/green, chartreuse/yellow, and a rainbow of color combinations - all the way to the clear w/sparkles bodies ....

What all this says, is that you just never know about these fish ... you've just got to experiment and see what they want at the time. The depth of water under the dock, clarity of the water, angle of the sunlight, type and placement of cover under the dock, and other "conditions" are as likely to have an effect on the bite as color choice.

I do know that many of the dock shooters, I know, use light jigheads for a slow fall --- slightly heavier line (8-10lb test) for a slower fall --- Panfish Assassin bodies, because they skip across the surface better --- med action rods and larger reels (bigger spool capacity) so they can shoot farther under the dock, as well as shoot from a greater distance away from the dock.
    A Roadrunner can be used ... but be prepared to lose a few. I generally use a weedless jighead ... and still lose some in the cross members, brush, hanging fish baskets, guide wires, and other underwater obstructions inherent with docks.
    (Tip - after you've shot up the dock to the point where you think you've covered it pretty thouroughly ... drift the deep water area just out from the dock, with minnows ... just off the bottom a little. Sometimes when you're pulling Crappie out from under there .... others will follow the hooked fish out, then spook when they get near the boat. They don't always go right back under the dock, but go deep "close by". By the time you finish shooting up the dock, these fish may have settled down - and they will be catchable again) ............... luck2ya .........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the good information. I have lost several roadrunners and plan on using regular jigs. I will probably try some of the weedless jig heads.
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

i like Charlie Brewer crappie sliders for docks and thick cover. They will save you on losses and they catch fish too. I do not shoot alot of docks, but the ones that I have, I didn't change jig colors and I had just as much success as I did on other areas of the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of times when I shoot docks I switch to the maribou type jigs (Hal Flys, Bite-A-Jig, etc.) instead of just the rubber jigs.....personal preference I guess.....I am not sure, but I think when moving REALLY slow the hair will give more action than the curly tail......
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>