Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Marabou vs. rubber - water temp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marabou vs. rubber - water temp

I used to use alot of marabou jigs long ago, but have used mostly rubber lately. A fellow told me last summer that he uses rubber in the winter and doesnt use marabou until the water warms up above 70 degrees. I would have thought that the subtle pulse of a marabou jig would be better than rubber in cold water. What are your thoughts about when marabou or rubber is better?
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drfishjd View Post
    I used to use alot of marabou jigs long ago, but have used mostly rubber lately. A fellow told me last summer that he uses rubber in the winter and doesnt use marabou until the water warms up above 70 degrees. I would have thought that the subtle pulse of a marabou jig would be better than rubber in cold water. What are your thoughts about when marabou or rubber is better?
    I agree with you. I think marabou (or hair) is better in colder water. I think they're both pretty darn good in warmer water, too.

And you gotta say "plastic", not "rubber". You sound like a fly fisherman.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Marabou does not stiffen up in cold water like some plastics do. It remains very active in the water with the slightest wave or water movement activating it. Yes, I will fish marabou year round.

I will use a plastic tube with sponge imbedded in it (to hold a fish attractant) as a backup plan.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I agree with you. I think marabou (or hair) is better in colder water. I think they're both pretty darn good in warmer water, too.

And you gotta say "plastic", not "rubber". You sound like a fly fisherman.

Oops. I'm not a fly fisherman. No disrespect to the fly guys. Some of my best buddies have gotten into fly fishing, and they won't touch a spinning reel anymore. Thanks for the info.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.