Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Is The Rate Your Jig Falls That Important?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is The Rate Your Jig Falls That Important?

I Have Always Heard That The Speed Your Jig Falls Through The Water Is The Most Important Thing To Catching A Crappie? I Know Fisherman That Will Only Through A 1/32 Oz Jig. I Have Caught Fish On A 1/32, 1/24, 1/16, And A 1/8 Oz Jigs. 1/24 Being My Favorite. Would I Get More Bites On A 1/32? I Have Heard Of A 1/64 But Never Saw One. Would That Size Be Even Better? Or Does It Really Matter?

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple of 1/64 oz. jigs. I have not tried them yet but will this spring and I have them in #6 & #6 Sickle hooks so looking forward to it.

I think when they are being picky a smaller jig will make them bite better than a large one. Smaller profile and all.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

it's all relative to current, clarity etc. You won't use a 1/64 in any kind of windy current filled days but maybe 1/8. I used to think of a crappie chasing down this slow falling bait. I wanted to believe I could trick them. The truth is they hang on Ledges, etc at depths and when you PRESENT a bait in it's face it will USUALLY HIT IT. I have caught more nice fish trolling minners than I have trying to trick them 1/64 oz baits on calm days. Get the bait down, get it in the ZONE and hang on.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

bait speed can make a difference wither trolling or just jiggin. Sometimes they want it fast and othertimes it must just hang there. I perfer 1/8 oz for verticle jigging , helps keep in contact with the bait.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I think the rate of fall can make a difference at times, like while shooting your jig up in a dock or under a pontoon boat. I have always used a 1/32 for them but now that I have some I will be using some 1/24th oz. when you can look up under a pontoon or dock and see them just under the water I will shoot a 1/32 jig or spoon, my feeling is that a heavier bait at that time will sink too fast. since crappie rarely go down for a bait I like to keep mine in their zone as long as possible. just my 2cents but its what works for me

Post Thanks / Like

I think it really depends on how you are fishing. I have found that using the lightest jig you can cast effectively when using hair or feather jigs or tubes makes a lot of difference. But with action tail jigs I like at least a 1/16. Usually those type you are throwing past the fish and retrieving through them so the fall rate doesn't matter as much as size or castability.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckWick View Post
    I think it really depends on how you are fishing. I have found that using the lightest jig you can cast effectively when using hair or feather jigs or tubes makes a lot of difference.
    Agree wholeheartedly!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckWick View Post
    But with action tail jigs I like at least a 1/16.
    That's a good point. Some jigs don't have the best tail action if you use too light a head.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Speckwick... really depends on how you are fishing and what stage the fish are in. Feeding, moving, dorment. The longer you have it in the strike zone and not whizzing past their face the better. As a rule of thumb a slower fall rate is better. Just my 2 cents!
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Not important to me really. I always use a 1/8 ounce jig so i can get down to the depth at which i want to fish faster