Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sealing Livewell ???

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Sealing Livewell ???

Ok understand first off , this boat is 20+ years old so replacing it is out the live well would cost more than the boat !!

I have a fiberglass livewell , for the life of me I can't find the leak . It is very slow , but leaks just the same ( I loose half the water in an 8 hour day )
    What would I use to seal the blasted thing up ? It isn't leaking around the drain hole as there isn't one in the well ...

I may even have a pic of it ..... yep but it's not the best one !!

IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/dmduck/71197d3d.jpg[/IMG]

Give me some ideas if you have any , thanks !!!
    Jim McIntyre
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

howdy; have ya thought of a coat of sealent? or you could go to your local home improvement store and get a can of basement sealant paint. the type they use on block. a few quick thoughts might have more later. good luck tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

Well duck I am almost in the same boat as you. Maybe a spray on type water sealant might work. My live well is leaking where the water supply hose comes to the live wells spray bar. I think I fixed my leak with a hose clamp.

I tested it today by putting the boat in the water and running the pump and filling up the live well to where it got up to the overflow tube. So far I didn't see any wet carpet on the boat's floor. But I did get some water in the boat. Either it was leaking out of my live well or I have another rivet head coming loose and leaking.

I hope you can get your live well sealed. Sounds like you have a pinhole leak.

Quote Originally Posted by DmDuck
    Ok understand first off , this boat is 20+ years old so replacing it is out the live well would cost more than the boat !!

I have a fiberglass livewell , for the life of me I can't find the leak . It is very slow , but leaks just the same ( I loose half the water in an 8 hour day )
    What would I use to seal the blasted thing up ? It isn't leaking around the drain hole as there isn't one in the well ...

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

hey duck i had the same problem in my ranger i took it to truck place and they sprayed it with that rhino spray on bed liner,works great now no leak

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Brush on a coat of resin?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

fill up th live well and let it sit, untill the water level stops to go down if it stops before the water level reaches the bottom it will give you an idea of were the leak is.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

howdy Duck; any luck with the leak? if so how'd ya fix it. just courious.
    tarfu.

Post Thanks / Like

My live well has a small leak also. It was leaking out of the hose or pvc pipe connection between the water pump and the live well's spray tube. The connection was not tight so I used a plastic tye to wrap around the tubing and then tighed the plastic Tye around the soft tubing thus sealing the leak where the soft tubing went over the hard PVC tube. It was in a very tight spot and I had to use a damn pry bar to lift up some wood to get to the area. I was lucky that the wood didn't break as it's covered with some brown vinyl that matchs the rest of my boat. I still have some water getting into my boat but I am not sure where it's coming in at.

Here is how I am going to figure out what is leaking. First I am going to put the boat out on my concrete driveway and wait for the concrete to get dry. This way if water leaks out of my boat I will see where the water drips onto the dry concrete. Then I will plug up the exit holes in the boat so that I can fill the boat up with water via a garden hose. I will first plug up the exit drain hole on the live well and then fill it up a little at a time and see if any water gets in the boat. I pulled the drain plugs on my boat two days ago and raised the tongue of my trailer up so that any water would drain to the back of the boat and then I used a sponge to clean up any water that would not drain out. The bottom of the boat is bone dry now.

Now if I put water in the livewell and it leaks out then it will accumulate inside my boat bottom. That way I will know if the live well is leaking and about what level in the live well the leak may be.

Now if the live well holds the water ok then I know that the water is coming into my boat from the boat's bottom somewhere. I most likely have a rivet on the boat's bottom that is not tight and slowly letting some water inside my boat. I can either have that welded shut or use some JB weld to seal the leak.

One way or another I am going to find and fix that leak. It's a very slow leak but after 8 hours on the water I get enough water in the bottom of my boat to start getting the raised carpeted flooring wet under the steering wheel colunm. And that is where I keep my dry cloths like sweatshirts etc. I put them under there to keep them from blowing out of my boat and dont' want them getting wet. Nothing like getting cold after the sun goes down and the damn sweat shirt that I intended to wear to keep warm is soaking wet with water.

Another tip is to use some food coloring dye to help you see where the leak is.

Quote Originally Posted by DmDuck

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Well I opted for the spray in bedliner , I went to Wally and found the stuff for $6.68 , instead of the truck shop but it worked ...no more leak !!! Man what a pain in the butt to get it really dry and clean to seal it though !!
    Jim McIntyre
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if car radiator sealer would have worked?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast