Post Thanks / Like

Default My Wish List

After being away so long (28 yrs) putting together
    a wish list. This has been info came from the forum
    and goggle search for crappies.

And input would be appricated.
    Money is tight so dont recommend the $300 rod, and $800 reel,
    with a $50,000 boat.

Will be doing dock and shore line Crappie fishing currently here in N Indiana.
    =========================

Hooks 6 or 8 Gold - 1/0 Aberdeen light Wire gold hooks
    Minnow dipping net
    Noddle pole ????
    Spinning Reel
    Slip Bobber
    1/16 Jigs
    6 Lb test line
    Gulp and fish scent
    ===========================
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bob,

I'm one that subscribes to the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) principle. I got away from hunting for about 15 years, but never stopped fishing. Even though I've been fishing for somewhere's in the neighborhood of 40 years, I still keep things simple. None of my rod/reel combos cost over $50, my boat is an old aluminum rowboat my grandpa left me. Now, I've managed to put together a pretty decent collection of fishing stuff over the years, but thinking about all the stuff I use, if I were looking to start from scratch... being budget-conscious myself, here is the basic wish list I'd try to fill:

1. A basic ultralight spinning outfit for $30 or less
    2. A Plano - type box, 3600 size
    3. Unpainted round jig heads in 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 oz (half dozen of each for starters)
    4. Unpainted mini-tube jig heads in 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 oz (half dozen of each for starters)
    5. 1 Pkg each of the following colors of 1.5" tubes (starting with my best colors first, working down the list):
    Chartreuse
    White/silver
    Hot pink
    Blue/chartreuse
    Red/white

Depending on what I've got to spend, I would cross off colors starting at the bottom until I get within budget. With the jig heads, I start crossing out the biggest, then the smallest and work my way to the middle of the list to stay in budget - all else fails,I'd simply go with the 1/8 oz round heads.

That's it. My basic crappie kit. Should be less than $100 for everything, including the rod/reel. After that, I periodically have to restock jig heads and tubes, and re-spool reels. After that, it's a matter of adding jig heads and tube colors over time as finances allow.

I hope this helps!!!!

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I like your thinking, but you brought up something UNPAINTED?
    ============================

3. Unpainted round jig heads in 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 oz (half dozen of each for starters)
    4. Unpainted mini-tube jig heads in 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 oz (half dozen of each for starters)

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, they're less expensive, you never have to clean the tie out to tie on. I've tried my own little experiments where I'll use painted and unpainted side-by-side, and catch the same numbers and sizes of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Joes advice except for one thing. The rod and reel. I suggest shooting a little higher cost wise, and getting a rig that has some modern technology in it that will enhance your fishing experience and skills now that you want to restart fishing again. I would add some Lime/Chartreuse and Red/Chartreuse and some natural looking colors for clear water like clear glitter and smoke glitter colored plastics to his list as well. I'd get a few Souther Pro Grubs in those colors as well.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...020&id=0017665

http://www.grizzlyjig.com/html/hot_g...riple_tip.html

If I may make a suggestion based on a lot of research into finding expert quality gear for a low price. I would suggest a $50 reel and a $50 rod that will set you up like a pro in quality but not price. For the reel I suggest a Daiwa Regal XiA. For $50 I have never seen a better reel. Its smooth and well built with quality materials and has 11 bearings. For the rod I'd suggest one of the rods I picked up to try this year. Its the Gander Mountain IM8 ultra light or light 1 piece or 2 piece 6ft 6.5 ft or 7ft length, depending on your preferences for weight and length. For the money on the market anywhere right now I have not had a better rod in my hands. Its compares in quality to $100 - $150 rods I have owned or tried. You will have to go to Gander Mountain to get the rod but you can get the reel from Cabelas or Bass Pro.

Here is the reel and a couple nice combos close to what I recommend. In particular that ZX combo would be great. That is a Daiwa built reel of actually a higher level than the Regal, a and the rod is excellent.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...333&hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0053432122822a

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0053496123350a
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 02-27-2008 at 04:43 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I like most of what's been recommended, except the Gulp. It's pretty expensive and you don't need it to catch fish. Regular plastics work just fine, if you feel you need some scent grab a bottle of the spray or gel scents, or try some Berkley Crappie Nibbles.

I tie and sell jigs, but PM me an address and I'll tie you some up and mail them to you for free. I like to see people catch fish on my lures and I'll be glad to help you out. Making a few bucks on the side is just a little extra fishing money.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Did a search engine on the reel.
    There are 6 models, with different drags. For Crappie would think that 5.3:1 ratio with drag weight 4.4 would be just right. Model RG-1550XiA

Reel
    Model Capacity
    (yds./lb. test) Gear Ratio Bearings Maximum Drag Weight (oz.) Qty Price
    RG-1500XiA 100/6 5.3:1 10+1 4.4 lb. 10.2 $49.95

RG-2000XiA 110/8 5.3:1 10+1 4.4 lb. 10.2 $49.95

RG-2500XiA 170/8 5.3:1 10+1 8.8 lb. 11.5 $49.95

RG-3000XiA 200/10 5.3:1 10+1 8.8 lb. 11.5 $49.95

RG-3500XiA 210/12 5.3:1 10+1 13.2 lb. 15.0 $49.95

RG-4000XiA 260/12 5.3:1 10+1 13.2 lb. 15.0 $49.95

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't want to spend that much and are looking for a spinning reel, the Pfleuger Trion is a very nice and smooth reel for the money. I have a few of them on my panfish rods.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rion&noImage=0

I'd probably go with the 4730GX. I usually use 6 pound test for panfish and I have larger hands so the larger reel works better for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Just me, but I like the 2000 or 2500 size reels better - spools are
    bigger so line doesn't kink up so quick, and reels in line faster.
    Gear ratio is only part of the deal, a fast ratio with a tiny spool will
    still reel in slow as Christmas. I like where in the bass pro catalogs
    they show "inches of line recovered per handle turn" now on a lot of the reels.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

ABU 101,102 5 ball bearing reels' 19.00 apiece at walmart, Berkley Hot rods are 15.00 6'med light actions good. get couple packs jig heads 1.70 each 1'32, 1'16th oz 4-5 packs of tube baits, #6 hooks split shots floaters takle box plano 3600 holds it all
    100 dallors max with 2 rod and reel combo's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast