Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Stupid question, How to rig BNM pole???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stupid question, How to rig BNM pole???

Picked up a 12 foot Bnm pole today and was wondering the best way to set it up for drowning minnows. I understand not to tie the line to the eye, but that's about it. I grew up fishing with real cane poles with extra line just wrapped around them, ties and a piece of electric tape to hold the line in place. These newfangled extension poles sure are nice! What do I do with the clips at the bottom?

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm getting back into real fishing, I've been bowfishing for 15 years, but want to try to catch a good mess of crappie. I've been lurking for a few weeks, great forum, seems like a good bunch of folks!

Thanks for your help!
    Eddy

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cousneddy
    Picked up a 12 foot Bnm pole today and was wondering the best way to set it up for drowning minnows. I understand not to tie the line to the eye, but that's about it. I grew up fishing with real cane poles with extra line just wrapped around them, ties and a piece of electric tape to hold the line in place. These newfangled extension poles sure are nice! What do I do with the clips at the bottom?

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm getting back into real fishing, I've been bowfishing for 15 years, but want to try to catch a good mess of crappie. I've been lurking for a few weeks, great forum, seems like a good bunch of folks!

Thanks for your help!
    Eddy
    I run the line thru the eye and then secure it to the pole about an inch down using a uni knot. You can get away with about 13 ft of line on a 12 ft pole. Once collapsed, the line is wrapped around the clips. I usually have a styrofoam type bobber on so the hook or jig can be stuck in it for storage. That works for me with no problems.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I use the ice fishing reels , I can adjust the length ( depth) and I can go right back to it without missing a beat because of the pin !!
    Last edited by DmDuck; 03-28-2005 at 10:27 PM.
    Jim McIntyre
    [email protected]

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Cousneddy you shoot tournaments? I was wondering cause I shoot a couple with some friends. We're gonna shoot Guntersville on Apr. 23
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlefarter
    Cousneddy you shoot tournaments? I was wondering cause I shoot a couple with some friends. We're gonna shoot Guntersville on Apr. 23
    I would like to shoot a couple this year. I can't compete with those big rigs and fans and stuff with my little 14 foot flatbottom. I am working the weekend of the 23rd Would love to come up to the meet and greet at the hotel before the tournament, but just can't swing it.

I'm getting into crappie fishing this year, don't have much a place to turkey hunt. Waiting for the water level to come up on Pickwick to try some crappie in the shallows I bowfish!

Post Thanks / Like

Default We get this question quite often

Thread the end of the line through the eyelet and tie off to the bottom of the metal eyelet base. As mentioned below, a uni-knot is most commonly tied. You CAN tie it directly to the eyelet, but we don't reccommend that because it places too much pressure on the eyelet. In addition, I think the pole will have better "feel" with line tied to the base, because the pressure from the line is distributed better throughout the section.

The clips at the bottom are line winders to wrap your line upon storage.

Hope this helps.

Jack
    Last edited by Jack Wells; 03-30-2005 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer one of your questions