Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lower unit plugs

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lower unit plugs

well, I went and bought an impact driver $20 at Advance Auto. Wacked it a couple times and got the screws out. Definately the way to get the screws out. This is what I got out of it.

I don't think this stuff has ever been changed.
    Advice to all: if you have never changed you lower unit oil, this might be what you rely on to lubricate the gears in your lower unit. Personally I don't think this is the ideal lubricant so I'm going to change my oil often.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, looks like you "got milk"!!! That's is really ugly man!
    I change my lower unit grease once a year (usually every fall) with a good grade grease made by OMC. Don't think you can go wrong doing that.
    I also found that OMC(and maybe the other guys do to) now offer drain plugs with a hex head drive hole instead of the old slotted style. Used the hex drive for the first time the other day and the plug came out without a hitch...first time it has ever been that easy!!! I'am all for that kind of help!!
    slab happy

Post Thanks / Like

You definately got some water mixed in with your gear lube. Up here in the north where we get the freezing temps, that stuff can freeze up and bust your lower unit open. Every fall before winter a lower unit oil change is mandatory to prevent that from happening. If I was you, I try and flush the lower unit out before adding fresh gear lube. Then I'd do another gear lube change in a month or so. They don't hold more than a quart, and it's cheap insurance.

Post Thanks / Like

Bye the looks of that liquid's color it appears to have broken down and may have some water in it.

I was going to post yesterday and advise you to get some extra plugs and washers before you took the plugs out and changed the oil. I change my lower unit's oil twice a year. Spring and Fall. That way it's always fresh and lubricating the lower unit's gears. Been doing that for 25 years now and so far so good.

At least change the unit's lower end gear grease once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlefarter
    well, I went and bought an impact driver $20 at Advance Auto. Wacked it a couple times and got the screws out. Definately the way to get the screws out. This is what I got out of it.

I don't think this stuff has ever been changed.
    Advice to all: if you have never changed you lower unit oil, this might be what you rely on to lubricate the gears in your lower unit. Personally I don't think this is the ideal lubricant so I'm going to change my oil often.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default once a year in the spring

I change mine once a year in the spring. Usually at the beginning of March. I need to get new o rings because the last time I changed it, the o rings looked a bit cracked. I'll get on mercury marines website and see how to order some new ones.

Lower unit oil in the two strokes is the most important thing to change. It's like the oil in your car. You gotta change it or it will break down and your gears will wear out prematurely. Lower unit work is expensive. An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure in this case.