Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Plastic Walk Plank for Boat Trailer from BPS.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plastic Walk Plank for Boat Trailer from BPS.

Beware that the walk plank that Bass Pro Shops sells to add to the boat trailer is made out of Plastic. In the picture it looks like bright aluminum but it's polyethylene plastic. I just got one and was very surprised to find out that it was not made out of metal. I am know that some plastics are better at holding up than others. But when you put this thing on to the trailer it uses metal bolts with that are going though this 1" thick but hollow plastic thing. Even with large bolt head I fear that the plastic will eventually not support the bolts head and they will go though the plastic and this thing will eventually fall off. I hope that I am wrong. I just wanted to advice anyone else that may decide to buy one of these that you are going to get a plank made out of plastic.

Here is the link to the item on the BPS web site

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at one at the BPS in Atlanta, and saw it was made outa of plastic. Instead of buying that, I went to Lowe's and bought some no-skid stick 'em pads, stuck them to my trailer tongue where I walk. No more problems with slipping.
    For the Everlasting Glory of the Infantry.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are right. I do think the bolts will eventually pull through the plastic. What I did was buy some of that rubber stick on mats with the little rubber nubbies sticking up. I stuck it on the whole tongue and my feet never slip. I slipped off twice before I got smart and did something about it. You can cut it to fit the width and it really sticks good. Hope that helps.

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Moose, I looked at the way it is used, and see that it mounts and is basicly fully supported by the beam of the trailor. Why not take a scrap of plywood and put inside of it if possible. Also larger washers would probably help also. Nothing lasts forever anymore, and eventually we all will see houses built out of plastic. Probably sooner than we think.