Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bamboo Web Site.. Information on growing and using Bamboo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bamboo Web Site.. Information on growing and using Bamboo

I found this web site by doing a search for bamboo. I was thinking about growing some in my yard or maybe somewhere else. I found this web site and the guy who runs the site responded to my email for help.

http://www.pandaboo.com/

Only problem with Bamboo is that is can send out roots that spread the bamboo and it can get away from you.. Well that would be an understatement. This web site says that they sell the cold hardy variety of bamboo but that kind only comes in the type that sends out runners and spreads like wildfire. They also see some 40mil thick material in rows that is as long as you need and two foot high. They claim that running type of bamboo only grows down to about 1ft and that this 2ft deep barrier can stop the bamboo from spreading.

Man my dad had a 1/3 of an acre of ground what would be perfect for growing this stuff. If I could grow it and make things out of it that would be nice.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Willow

Hey Moose........
    Have you ever given any thought about using willow ,instead of bamboo?It's native to our area, grows straight and tall. I imagine most landowners would be glad to get rid of it.That's what I learned to fish with.Dad would take us down to the creek, cut a willow pole , tie some line on it and we were in bisness. I'm planning on making some condos out of it later. I'll keep you posted on how it works.

Ledhed

Post Thanks / Like

I might consider using some of that willow as it does grow all along the water's edge.

My gradpaw use to have two willow like trees in his back yard and he often would tear off some switchs to switch my butt when I got mouthy. LOL

Maybe it would be nice to put those willow limbs to a better use.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Hey Moose........
    Have you ever given any thought about using willow ,instead of bamboo?It's native to our area, grows straight and tall. I imagine most landowners would be glad to get rid of it.That's what I learned to fish with.Dad would take us down to the creek, cut a willow pole , tie some line on it and we were in bisness. I'm planning on making some condos out of it later. I'll keep you posted on how it works.

Ledhed
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Moose , take it from someone who knows first hand.Your worries about uncontroled spreading are very real.Tried to clean out a sizeable patch on my grandmother's land and that stuff is thick and hearty.Even when we had cleared it all out and dug up the root system we saw there , they grew back stronger the next year.It was as if we had pruned it and set it to growing at an excelerated rate.Bout the only way to get it gone is with controlled fire burning deep.Maybe you could grow them in boxes like a raised garden and control them that way , but you would need a pretty big box.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.