Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Spawning Bottom Type

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Spawning Bottom Type

What type of bottom do Crappies like to spawn over? Like, solid rock, gravel, mud, sand, or what?
    "Dixie Boy"
    Monkey Town Jigs "The Evolution of Crappie Jigs"
    Dayton, TN

Post Thanks / Like

they will spawn in all the types you described. shallow when they can,deep when they have to.. big ones get the first best sites, then the trickle effect takes over. some spawn on points,back of coves, long gravely flats.. I catch them in chunk rocks,and mud flats... I guess it depends on the area you live and what there is to offer. when it's time not much stands in there way jsut my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that built a 15 acre lake, clean bottom, with rock on on the levee.
    He put in Catfish, Bream, Bass, Crappie, 2 years layer everything except the Crappie had spawned. He hired a some people to check it out. They said the crappie wouldn't spawn unless there was wood. They would not spawn on the bottom.

And that is what I have heard all my life.

Get The Net

Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading a post here a while back that said something about crappie spawning in grass. I've never seen it but that don't make it untrue.

The Hound

Post Thanks / Like

hmm I was told by a guide that they will spawn in lilly pads but i dont know that to be a fact.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they will spawn on a most any surface as long as it isn't silty. The eggs won't mature and hatch if they get covered in silt. They definitely prefer to have some cover around for the fry to hide in when they come off the beds.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com