Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: D@%# weathermen...

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Default D@%# weathermen...

Tricked me again. Said 100% chance of severe storms today. So I played it safe and stayed home. It stormed so bad that all I got to do was go outside and wax my boat, motor, and trailer. Oiled some stuff and cleaned my trailer up real good.

Then I tried to check my lower unit oil. I have only had this boat since Nov. and it was serviced not long before I bought it. Well the last jack@$$ that took the screws out put them in so tight I couldn't budge 'em. Any suggestions? I think I'm gonna go get a drag line socket that will fit the screw and see if I can get 'em loose with it. Screwdriver won't do it.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlefarter
    Tricked me again. Said 100% chance of severe storms today. So I played it safe and stayed home. It stormed so bad that all I got to do was go outside and wax my boat, motor, and trailer. Oiled some stuff and cleaned my trailer up real good.

Then I tried to check my lower unit oil. I have only had this boat since Nov. and it was serviced not long before I bought it. Well the last jack@$$ that took the screws out put them in so tight I couldn't budge 'em. Any suggestions? I think I'm gonna go get a drag line socket that will fit the screw and see if I can get 'em loose with it. Screwdriver won't do it.

Hey, fiddle......I've had that problem on the last motor I bought. It was used about 18 hours, bought new for a pontoon, but the owner decided it didn't have enough power, so he sold it to me after it was shopped out. Like you, I wanted to check everything out before I put it on the water, and could not get the lower unit plugs out. Wound up having to buy a 18" screwdriver with a 1/2" square shaft and a bit (blade) that fit the plugs both in length of the plug slot, and the slot width. With the blade firmly in the plug, I used a 1/2" wrench on the shaft to break the plugs loose. The plugs are aluminum, as is the lower unit and very easy to strip, so make sure the screwdriver is as good a fit as possible. I just had to drill and tap the upper hole on a lower unit for a fishing buddy, and adapt a new plug to fit it. This will work if you can find a screwdriver that fits. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Fiddlefarter

If you get a helper to take a hammer and tap the screwdriver while you turn it will come out. Tap not whop.

mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fiddlefarter tight screws

If you will take a screwdriver and turn while getting someone to tap the screwdriver with a hammer it will back out. Tap not beat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stuck Screw

You can use a impact driver but do not get ugly with it. I had to use a adjustable wrench on a long screw driver the first time I Changed my lower unit oil. lol
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ribit
    You can use a impact driver but do not get ugly with it. I had to use a adjustable wrench on a long screw driver the first time I Changed my lower unit oil. lol
    Yup, manual impact driver you smack with a hammer. They are available at Sears hardware.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I did a search on bassboat central(www.bbcboards.com...lots of good info about boats on there) and it seems this is a common issue and a manual impact driver is the way to go. First I'll go to my dads and get a BFS (big f-ing screwdriver) and give the tap&turn method a try cause that will be free. But I'm gonna get an impact driver. I plan on having boat motors my whole life so I'm sure this won't be the last time I use it. Plus buying tools is almost as gratifying as buying fishing stuff. It's always nice to have what you need when you need it. I wonder why they don't use regular bolts instead of screw heads. Seems like as long as you remembered not to overtighten and strip the threads that would be a better design.
    Last edited by fiddlefarter; 03-28-2005 at 10:35 AM. Reason: wrong web address

Post Thanks / Like

Thats not the right url. Its really www.bbcboards.zeroforum.com For some reason I couldn't edit it.