Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cutting board

Post Thanks / Like

Default cutting board

Wife got a new kitchen sink and it came with a oak cutting board. She gave it to me to use to clean fish on. Is there something special that you do to break it in before using it. Conner

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Conner
    Wife got a new kitchen sink and it came with a oak cutting board. She gave it to me to use to clean fish on. Is there something special that you do to break it in before using it. Conner
    Catch fish??
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Dang beat me to that one ..... :-)
    Jim McIntyre
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Oil it. Rub a good cooking oil in it and let it soak a few days before you use it. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Conner
    Yes, they are just like cast iron skillets, you bury them in the hot ash of a rip roaring camp fire 2-6 hours to "season" them, then rub them down with Bacon fat.

Drift_Wood is offline Moderator TN Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VietVet68
    Yes, they are just like cast iron skillets, you bury them in the hot ash of a rip roaring camp fire 2-6 hours to "season" them, then rub them down with Bacon fat.
    I would not take this boys advise if you want to keep your cutting board and I think Roberta had the best idea. Why would you bury a Oak cutting board in coals?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drift_Wood
    I would not take this boys advise if you want to keep your cutting board and I think Roberta had the best idea. Why would you bury a Oak cutting board in coals?
    Yuh don't reckon that "boy" might of been jesting just a little?

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, mineral oil would be your best bet for your board. Rub it in, let it soak in a few days, then repeat.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

howdy; roberta is on right track. my prefrence is to use a good quality olive oil. set cutting board in a sheet cake pan and cover it with the oil of your choise, let the oil soak in for 2-3 days. wipe off excess oil. ready to slice/dice/chip/chop. when ever you see a section drying out take a kitchen towel soak in your oil of choise and let it sit on dry spot over night. don't forget to count your fingers every once in awhile. :D lol tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scaling a fish

This may be off the subject a little, but one of my old friends gave me a little tip and it worked pretty damn good. To scale a fish, clamp it down, or hold it and then hit it with some high pressure water from the tail to the head. The scales come right off. I used a regular garden hose with a nozzle on it. Any one else use this technique?
    LET IT RIP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast