Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How to Handle High Water

Speckster Guest

Default How to Handle High Water

I'm still prety new to this freshwater stuff. My question deals with high water. Many of our local fishermen are laying low right now because the local rivers here in the Big Bend region of Florida are extremely high and flowing like crazy. They say they can't fish in these conditions. I like to fish the impoundments at the St. Mark's Refuge. The water is about 3ft higher than last year already but there isn't any real flow. How does one fish for specks and bass in this circumstance or should I wait until the water goes down? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

if you can get out on the river safely the fish may be found back in the newly flooded areas. They may follow a creek channel or even a ditch back into the newly flooded areas and then fan out to feed and soak up the warmth that the shallow waters offer them. Might try any old oxbows under those conditions as the fish may go there to get out of the current.

Remember that friction between an object in the river and the flowing water can slow the current down. Fish will hide in these slack water positions behind boulders, logs etc. Even the back end and front end of an underwater hump or an above water island can slow the current some. And the bottom has slower currents that the middle of the stream. Areas along the bank also slow the flow due to friction. Areas on an outside bend will have the fastest currents, Areas on the inside of a bend will have slower current flow. Water does not have to travel as far around a bend in a river if it take the inside bend path thus it goes slower than if it took the outside bend patch. A deep hole in a river can act as a current break and provide shelter for the fish at times.

At this time of the years, spring time, I would look for areas that are warmer than other areas and that have slack currents.

Be careful out there and wear a lift jacket that is coast guard approved to keep your head floating in the upright postion if you get knocked unconscious. You can't be too careful on the water and you must take extra care if you fish in flood water conditions.

I have been out on the Ohio River during times of flooding in DEC and it's no picnic. But I was not out on the river fishing, I was out trying to rescue people that got caught in the flood waters and didn't get out of their home intime. We had to go by boat to get them out of their home before the flood waters took their home.

Might want to check out the headwaters as they may have warmer water at this time of the year. spring

Quote Originally Posted by Speckster
    I'm still prety new to this freshwater stuff. My question deals with high water. Many of our local fishermen are laying low right now because the local rivers here in the Big Bend region of Florida are extremely high and flowing like crazy. They say they can't fish in these conditions. I like to fish the impoundments at the St. Mark's Refuge. The water is about 3ft higher than last year already but there isn't any real flow. How does one fish for specks and bass in this circumstance or should I wait until the water goes down? Thanks!
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

If the local's are laying low its probaly a good idea for a newbie to do the same, DO you have any lakes nearby? They are a much better bet but calling your local rangers station or something would give you an accurate account of how high they are and also when they may go down. What part of florida are you in? Create a thread in the florida section for places near you to fish, someone is bound to be able to help you out.