Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum oxidation removal?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Aluminum oxidation removal?

I was wondering if anyone has a good way of taking the oxidation off of any aluminum boat. I have a bass tracker and last year I used a ton of Mothers aluminum polish and a lot of elbow grease to shine it up. But after 3 trips it was back to the same. I was wondering if anyone has a better product and technique along with a way to seal the metal so I can shine it up and not have to do it every month?
    HOOKED-FISHING.COM CDC PROUD SPONSOR
    B'n'M Pro Staff
    Bobby Garland Crappie Baits Pro Staff
    Outdoor Writer

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have same problem and...

soaking with WD-40 did not work either. Wound up scraping it off using a heavy (1/8" thick) plastic putty knife. Lower unit is the hardest to clean. Don't know how to keep it off. Use sacrificial anodes maybe?
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

You can use a diluted acid solution to return it to its normal color. The only problem is that several months down the road, as it reoxidizes, it will get blotchy. I bought a Fisher Marine 17' boat "reconditioned" from the dealer. It was just as shiny as new when I picked it up. Within a year, it was getting blotchy. They sell a spray bottle with an acid solution, and I can't remember the name. It was "squink" or something like that. It came in a pint sized spray bottle. It cuts right through the oxidation.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I just spray it down and let it set and then wipe it off with the acid, or do you have to buff it in and out with a ton of elbow grease?
    B'n'M Pro Staff
    Outdoor Writer

Post Thanks / Like

I refurbed an extremely oxidized 17' alum canoe several few years ago.

I bought a gallon of alum acid polish from a truck-parts chain (TruckPro), diluted it, sprayed it on with a mixing jar that attaches to your hose and is supposed to be used for spraying plant-food in the garden. Spray, wait a few minutes, rinse. Easy as pie. For the couple of spots that didn't shine up immediately, I ran over them lightly with one of those green plastic abrasive sheets made to clean dishes - along with the diluted acid it did the trick.

That was about 5 years ago, and the canoe still looks great - but it is stored inside hanging from the rafters in my garage.
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Post Thanks / Like

Toon Brite does the trick for me and my Tracker. Bass pro Shop carries it and you can order online. Dilute with water and spray on, wait five minutes rinse off and your done! Repeat if necessary.
    Wichita

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, spray and rinse.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't find it on Bass Pro, Let me know if you guys can find it?
    B'n'M Pro Staff
    Outdoor Writer

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.3mestore.com/marine-alumi...nd-polish.html

I have tried this and it seems to work. Click the above link. Hope it works for you.
    Take your kids hunting and fishing, and you won't be hunting your kids

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a newer model Tracker, it is anodized aluminum. They are hard to polish. That spray stuff will eat the anodize off the metal. There is a post on here somewhere about cleaning aluminum. I asked the same question.

I use 3M Perfect It 3000 and a buffer and a lot of time. Ring around the collar comes right back. No win situation. I just keep going and going and going or rather buffing and buffing and buffing. I also used Weenol. I waxed the boat with Woody Wax after buffing.

Good luck

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast