Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question on Garmin fishfinders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on Garmin fishfinders

Anyone here have any experience with Garmin fishfinders. I believe it is the 250 that I am salivating over, in order to network it with my hand held Garmin GPS. Any informative replies will be muchly appreciated.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 240 and prefer it over the others I've tried including Lowrance, Humminbird and Pinpoint.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin

I have the 240s in my ranger and also the gps system onboard I like them ok but I am leaning toward the humminbird matrix and the only reason is for real time sonar as for Garmin I had a 240 go bad and they sent me a brand new one for nothing thought that was swell of them

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Garmins on my past two boats. Had three go bad. On two of them the display fogged up and on one it just went nuts. I had one Gps combo unit go nuts too. But Garmin has always taken care of it. They have excellent customer service. As far as recommending them though, I've found the Lowrance units to perform better. I'm currently running a 102C on front. The color unit is awesome and well worth the money. I use a Garmin GPS combo unit on my dash and I'm not real happy with it. It seems that the software is not able to keep up while running down the lake using the Fishing Hotspots maps. Much like a computer with an old processor running a modern program. It doesn't update fast enough to give you an accurate position. One thing to consider on any combo unit is that if either the depthfinder goes bad or the Gps goes bad, you've lost both units while it is being seviced. Been there and done that. I use a seperate depthfinder and GPS on the bow. I do prefer their GPS units to the others because they are able to zoom in to a closer range. Hope this helps.
    The only way to have a good fishing spot is to make it yourself!