Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cajun Boiled Crawfish Recipe!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Cajun Boiled Crawfish Recipe!

This is my friends Boiled crawfish recipe.I hope you all enjoy! 30 lbs of Live Crawfish (1 sack)
    2 bags of Onions
    2 bags Small Potatoes
    12 Ears of Corn (cut in half)
    3 packs of hotdogs
    3 pounds of smoke sausage (cut 3 inches long)
    12 whole cloves Fresh Garlic
    2 packs Fresh Mushrooms
    8 Lemons
    8 oranges
    3 lbs Seafood Boil Powder (Zateran's is best)
    1 big bottle of liquid Seafood Boil (Zateran's is best)
    about a dozen fresh bay leaves (if available)
    12 Pack of Cold Beer (at least)

Directions:
    1. If you have not already done so, drink a cold beer.
    2. After your beer, you would normally purge the crawfish. This is done by placing them in a container (or ice chest), filling it with water and adding a container of salt, wait about 5 minutes and rinse until clear water comes out.
    3. Drink another beer. Give one to a friend.
    4. Fill the large pot half full with fresh water, place on outdoor propane cooker, and start the fire. Place the lid on the pot and bring water to a boil.
    5. Add Liquid Seafood Boil, bay leaves, and 2 pounds powder (save rest for later) to water (Zateran's is the best). Let the boiling water mix it well for a minute or so.
    6. Time to drink another beer. Send sober friend to store for more beer.
    7. Drop in the onions (halved), the potatoes and fresh garlic. Let this cook, keeping an eye on the potatoes. (Check for doneness by stabbing with a sharp knife or fork. If it goes in easy, it is cooked. Hint; Do not over cook potatoes, slightly under cook them because they will continue to steam and cook in ice chest. You don't want to end up with mashed potatoes.) When the potatoes are almost done, add the hot dogs, sausage, corn and mushrooms. After they have cooked, lower the fire on the burner and remove the basket. Place them in a small clean ice chest - don't close the lid - just place foil on top. Time to drink another beer.
    8. Turn the heat up on the burner. Add more spice to the water. (About 1/2 lbs., save rest of spice for later.) Take the lemons and oranges (halved) and squeeze the juice in the water. Then add the lemons and oranges to the water. When the water comes to a real good boil place the crawfish into the basket and put the basket in the pot. (Be careful - it's very hot!) Put the lid on the pot and enjoy another beer.
    9. When the water comes back to a boil - keep a very close eye on this part - let it boil for 4 minutes and turn off the fire. Let it soak for another 3 minutes and then remove. Kill the boil when you turn it off by adding cold water or ice, not much is needed maybe a gallon or so (Tip- have some 2 liter bottles almost full of water and frozen, use these instead of loose ice so that you do not dilute your water for the next batch). Then let the crawfish soak. They will sink to the bottom and fill with spicy water (JUICES).
    10. Get an old table and place old newspapers on top. Dump the basket of crawfish on top of the newspaper and sprinkle with leftover spice.
    11. Dump the onions, potatoes, corn and garlic on top of the crawfish. Now it's time to really drink beer and eat. The vegetables are for those guests who cannot figure out how to peel the crawfish (we call them Yankees, LOL). At least they won't starve.

Use leftover spice to experiment. You can always add more to the ice chest. Sprinkle it on, stir it up and let it steam in chest for 10 minutes. Then test again.
    I PRACTICE CATCH & FRY---DONT EVERYBODY ? Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

Now we're talkin' This is very close to the way I do them...

By the way, those mushrooms will almost make you throw rocks at the crawfish.

Post Thanks / Like

Once the crawfish come to a rolling boil, boil them for 3 minutes.

Cut the fire and let them soak for 20 minutes - you don't need to add cold water or ice or anything like that.

Do them this way and you will never, ever have dry or hard to peel crawfish again.
    Dude, your cork's under.

Post Thanks / Like

That sure sounds good! My mudbug consumption went from singin & suckin heads to Zydeco jams, to a blank Deliverance look when I say crayfish, crawdad, mudbug. These folks here too busy messin up BBQ and makin stuff outta crab to recognize poor mans lobster.

My ol buddy Frederique is still just west of Houston, runnin the rice field canals & reservoirs, cricks, bayous, with his pots & piroque. I had never eaten a bug before moving to TX and still mad I waited so long.:D I have a new client whose hubby is from Abbeville, he guarantees me he's da man, and will be my bug connection from here on out. We'll soon find out, they are going back this spring and my order is in.

Copied recipe, thanx.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tater salad

Lots of ways to cook them, and I'm sure we all get the same results. Try this next time: cook some extra taters and make salad with them. You can peel some tails and put them in the salad as well. It's great and it will have a nice kick to it. Jim
    Rudd fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Eaten crawfish is about having fun with friends and family.Its something that can really be enjoyed outside on a cool Spring day.Where im from most people loved to be invited to a crawfish boil.Generally means good eaten and good friends & goodtimes!
    I PRACTICE CATCH & FRY---DONT EVERYBODY ? Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

if you could get your hands on what is called swamp dust you would change your mind about zateran's right quick

Post Thanks / Like

Where can I get this 'Swamp Dust'?
    Dude, your cork's under.

Post Thanks / Like

go to cajun wholesale retail store.com and you can by it on the net or if you're in south louisiana you can get it just about anywhere

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast