Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Battery System

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery System

Anyone see any problems with this Diagram for powering my 24v Trolling Motor and also some 12v Accessories (primarily Lowrance GPS/SONAR)? My big kicker batteries will be completely separate.

Post Thanks / Like

The negative lead of the charger bank hooked to the top battery will be shorted to the positive lead of the other bank on the bottom battery....not too sure that your charger will like that very much. You may want to unhook one end of the jumper between the two batteries before plugging the charger in.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Every time I tried to hook a depthfinder to trolling batteries I had a lot of interference. Especially in a 24V system. You'll probably have to hook depthfinder to one of your crankers.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Your fine.

Quote Originally Posted by VietVet68
    Anyone see any problems with this Diagram for powering my 24v Trolling Motor and also some 12v Accessories (primarily Lowrance GPS/SONAR)? My big kicker batteries will be completely separate.

Post Thanks / Like

Fiddlefarter is right dont hook up anything but a trolling motor to your batterys. The cycling of your trolling motor on and off will be hard on your electronics. Hook them up to your cranking battery, as long as you start the motor and let it recharge the battery you are good for 4 or 5 hours without draining it down. I have never drained a cranking battery with just electronics this is running 2 depthfinders and a gps and sometimes the radio on also.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingpox
    Your fine.
    Does "Your fine" mean I wouldn't have to remove the jumper between the two batteries before I plug in the on board charger?

If I have to remove the jumper it would take most of the convience out of having an on board charger.

Back in the days of the old Lowrance Paper Graph Recorders, tieing them to the T.M. batteries never effected them. But I suspect you folks are correct on the new digital recorders. The ironic thing is, when the original Humminbird Super Sixty came out, if you tied it to your cranking battery you had to turn the Gain way down or you saw lots of fish all the way from 0-60'

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Some 2 bank chargers use a common ground. If this is your case "DO NOT" hook up as drawn. You will be creating a direct short. If you have one of the better chargers, then you will have isolated grounds. Those will work fine. Normally one would use a 3 bank charger for a 24V trolling motor. 2 for the trolling motor and one for the starting battery.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Charger

I put a 3-Bank Pro Se 10 Amps per bank in my boat a couple of years ago and it still works. Charges and maintains. Follow the instructions plug and charge. Use to use a regular 12v charger disconnected each Trolling motor battery charged one at a time that way you got a full charge on each one. Charged the cranking battery without disconnecting it. It was a pain but not any more. lol
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

OK, after considerable research and a couple of phone calls to service techs, here is what I have per Dual Pro and Minnkota.

I have a 24 volt trolling motor and my two deep cycle trolling batteries are wired in series. Do I have to remove the jumper wire between the batteries when I charge the batteries with my Dual Pro Charger?

"No, there is no need to remove the series jumper because the Dual Pro consists of two totally independent chargers which share nothing in common. This allows for both batteries to independently but simultaneously charged."

The same goes for Minnkota Chargers.