Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to specifically target black crappie over whites?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to specifically target black crappie over whites?

Any of you guys know any specific ways to target black crappie? The reason I ask is that the fisheries biologists are saying Kentucky Lake (where I fish) is by far currently dominated by black crappie (this has changed from over the last several years from white crappie domination), but my catch is probably 50/50 white and black? This makes me think I'm missing out on LOTS of the blacks........ Also, when at the cleaning station most guys I see don't even have near the blacks I have as most might have 10 to 20 percent blacks w/ the rest whites....any tips appreciated.

The lake is getting clearer w/ more weed growth and several say just fish the weeds, but that is like saying cast "in the water" and I haven't seen anyone that can consistantly put more blacks in the boat than whites. However, I would be very interested in hearing from someone that can do so...especially on Kentucky Lake.

Thanks...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Caseydrew ...

don't know if this will help or not, but :

my experiences have not been on KY/Barkley (so keep that in mind) -

but, on Taylorsville Lake (no weeds, lots of timber, both species) ... I've found them to basically utilize the same cover & depth.

and on Watts Bar Lake, in East TN (no weeds, limited timber, stationary docks, both species) ... I've found that the Black Crappie come to spawning areas earlier than White Crappie, favor the deeper water docks during prespawn, and return in the Fall --- whereas the White Crappie seem to come to spawning areas later, favor shallow timber/docks, and tend to stay in deeper water in the Fall.

my Weiss Lake experience is too limited to offer any substantial info, or differing results.

I'm sure you've already read the KDFWR Tagging Study results, but it may be helpful to revisit one particular finding of that study : Black Crappie come in earlier, spawn shallower, and stay shallower longer than the White Crappie (during the spawning period).

You may be seeing other anglers with a greater percentage of White Crappie, simply due to the fact that they are still fishing the time proven areas and methods that they've always used (primarily targeting the known factors of White Crappie habits/habitat).

The fact that you are catching a 50/50 ratio, could indicate that you are covering the habitat ranges of both ... or, that the increased number of Black Crappie is gradually taking over your catch ratio ... or, that the Black Crappie are using the same habitat, or taking over the habitat range of the decreasing White Crappie population.

Both species, in their adult years, eat primarily the same foodsource ... so I don't know if there's any specific "bait" that's more prone to catching Black Crappie. Don't know of any specific method or presentation that favors catching Black Crappie over White Crappie, either.

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

As a general rule of thumb, blacks are the more deliberate of the 2 fish. It will study a bait more therefore jigs or minnows under floats either stationary or with a slow retrieve gives them a chance to study the bait before hitting as opposed to a quickly moving bait. I find whites hit more often on a quicker horizontal retrieve and blacks hit more with a slowly rising or falling vertical retrieve. Blacks = slow + vertical - Whites = faster + horizontal.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Casey, I probably fish a lot of the same water you fish. All I can tell you is they move up a lot earlier than the whites. If I'm catching whites 12' deep in 15' to 16' of water I can almost always find the blacks 3' to 5' shallower.

That's about all I can tell ya. I'm still figuring them out myself.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

In missouri where I fish I find most of the black crappie arround the rocks.rip raps or out crops of rocks, especially in the colder mounts. the bigger fish seem to always spawn first. after they spawn and the fry move out the smaller fish come in to spawn in the same places. seems like I catch the bigger fish just after the water gets to 50 or so.... m2cw.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I've noticed here is that the blacks like the clearer water, where the whites are more likely to be found in the more stained portions of the lake. I catch both in just about all areas of the lake, but it seems the black crappie outnumber the whites everywhere except the areas either in or near the feeder creeks and the main river where the water stays a little more stained most of the year. I still catch both types in these areas, but more whites there, maybe 50/50. Just what I've noticed here in Ohio.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great question and I can't really offer any more info than what has already be given. Though there are slight differences in habitat preference, water temp, water clarity, etc. they do co-exist and have now been found to be naturally hybridizing. If someone can figure out a sure fire method I'm sure tournament anglers will want to know. Reason: typically blacks of the same year class will weigh more than a white. On Greeson fishing the same spots, one day we will catch all or most all whites and the next blacks. When they are feeding aggressively it will be an equal mix.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know either. Seems some days one more than the other but you never know what it's gonna be.

One thing I do know, they all taste good. I'm an "Equal opportunity eater".
    Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

we are experiencin just the oppisite at Buggs Island in VA/NC. used to be hardly any whites, now they sometimes make up 50% of our catch. only difference i've noticed is the whites are generally deeper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskers
    Casey, I probably fish a lot of the same water you fish. All I can tell you is they move up a lot earlier than the whites. If I'm catching whites 12' deep in 15' to 16' of water I can almost always find the blacks 3' to 5' shallower.

That's about all I can tell ya. I'm still figuring them out myself.

Wiskers.... unfortunately your above statement is about all I've figured out as well on KY. Thanks for all the tips guys.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast