Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sarasota, FL area Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sarasota, FL area Question

I plan on visiting the Sarasota, FL area in about 3-4 weeks. Anyone know of any crappie fishing in that area. Or someone to take me fishing?
    Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on the other side of the state in Melbourne. I don't know a thing about the crappie fishing over that way. However, if you get to my area, I can probably point you in the right direction, and, take you fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sarasota Area

Ernest, contact this gentleman and ask your questions, (Snook-Fin-Addict) Captain Rick Grasset, (941) 923-7799. He normally just runs in the bays and back waters, but he is a great guy and I'm sure he won't steer you wrong. I've used him several times. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Glen, That's a little far from where I'll be. Maybe on another time.
    Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ernest, I go to Sarasota just about every year at the end of February myself. I asked the same question on the Florida site and got no response. Maybe it's me??? Anyway, I looked online and found Lake Manatee is supposed to have decent crappie fishing, but I couldn't really find any info as far as whether they rent boats or anything like that. Maybe Google it and see if it's something you are looking for. If you don't find the crappie, there are some good areas in the bays and backwaters around Sarasota to catch a wide variety of fish. Close to Sarasota toward Venice, on Rte.41 I think, is a small area called Nakomis Beach. There is a long rock Jetty there, and some backwaters as well. I like to fish there using bucktail jigs both off the jetty and walking the backwaters themselves. I've caught everything from sheepshead, to snook, pompano, seatrout, reds, snappers, who knows what else there. Always plenty of good guys on the jetty to tell stories and get info from too. Bait shop right there. Also, on the islands there off the coast of sarasota there are good spots around the bridges, and Anna Maria Island has a nice pier to fish off of with a restaraunt. If the mackerel are running, that is a great place to be. Kinda like getting into a school of slabs, only with attitudes. Great thing is they hit a jig, which is what I'm used to using anyway. Good luck, and if ya find crappie down there, let me know.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com