Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help in south alabama

Kent Fyock Guest

Question Help in south alabama

I live in south Alabama and I would appriciate any help I could get in finding crappie around the Tensaw river. I usualy launch at Cliff's landing thats about 15 min from Bay Minette . I have caught a few but no numbers or size. I know they are out there but I can't locate them. Help

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

good luck getting help on the alabama board. Unless you fish north Alabama. You could use the mississippi or louisiana boards. It is not because they don't want to help but most of the post seem to be for the north here. I think I am the only poster south of birmingham sometimes. I get more help from the Ga board since I am on the border.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

cherok9878 Guest

Kent, Falcon is correct about the posts'. Help, from the south of Alabama, is few and far between. Seems' like these good ol' boys keep all the info to thenselves or don't use computers. The fish around here, Wetumpka, Al, are from 5 to 15 ft, Depending on the current and water temp. I only use Jigs, dark colors in dingy water, chartruse or pearl/red in clear water. I am sure other colors will work but these are my most productive. I find at this time of year, the fish are usually staged at the entrance to a creek/cove/slough with access to deeper water. If wood is present your chances of a hookup increase. I use 6# line and weedless jigs, still get hung up but if you don't hang up you usually don't catch any fish. I am, "BY FAR", not a pro fisherman or fisher person, to be politically correct. I just get out there, wet a line, and pay attnetion to the conditions, presentation and depth when a fish is "caught". The Crappie, themselves, will tell you what to do/ how to present your lure or minnow. Enjoy yourself and take your family with you...............larry
    Likes catchNgrease LIKED above post

edddie Guest

Default south alalabama help

I am in the Navy here in Meridian and my hometown is Pensacola. Use to fish the Tensaw quite a bit. Use to do well by going up to Boatyard Lake which is above Stockton. This is actually the Alabama River break and you can hit and use the landings below Boatyard lake. We use to catch nice slabs just north of the landing. You can only go about 200 yards and you run into dry land, but there was plenty of blowdown along the banks to hold nice white perch. Live minnows worked or white or chartruese jigs. Also a greta place to fish for bluegills when they go on bed. Especially with Catalpa Worms. If you go out to the main river try jigs along the blowdowns and Willow Trees. Need a long jig pole for that though. Still lots of nice slabs there. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Slabs in northwest & Centeral Alabama

For help in south Alabama! Monday Mar.21 My Pop & I caught 56 nice ones on the Warrior River. The water had warmed up to about 63 and the males were cleaning up the beds. We were using minnows til we ran out then turned to white/yellow 1/8 jigs at about two foot. Find out what the water temp is that will tell you where there at!!! and what there fixin to do.Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Fyock
    I live in south Alabama and I would appriciate any help I could get in finding crappie around the Tensaw river. I usualy launch at Cliff's landing thats about 15 min from Bay Minette . I have caught a few but no numbers or size. I know they are out there but I can't locate them. Help
    It all depends on water level. As high as the rivers are you will do a lot better in the creeks south of Cliffs. There is good fishing in Bay Minette Basin, Oak Bayou, Mcvay and Big Briar. McReynolds and Dennis lake are real productive in the winter months. The West and East ends of the I-65 interstate form small lakes which holds good numbers of fish in the spring. There is a new book out called Hidden Lakes that will show you some of the best crappie fishing in the area but most of them require some elbow grease to get into. The lake at Citronelle is also a good bet for average fish during the spring. Hope this helps.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

great job blade, crappielips and edddie. We need and are glad to have you posting on Alabama Crappie.com Keep it coming. If any of you need any reports for the Chattahoochee river lakes I'll try to help with my .02...

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Northwest & Centeral Al.

The water over here on the ten-tom & Warrior has drowned alllllll the fish. Any body on line fish this area? Have a nice day Yall!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Water temp

sometimes that water temp isn't rewarding, we hunted the warm water and hunted, they had lock jaw that day, I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad u caught something on Warrior crappielips. i am planning a trip there soon
    Hey where's my float.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast