Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: wylie wed nite

Post Thanks / Like

Default wylie wed nite

we decided to pull anchors from our usual haunts and set sail for some new water tonight. after a little scouting we located a fairly good looking spot, set up and had some fun. we wound up with 21 real slabs, also known as netters and three lifters. what was so unusual about tonight was we wasnt pestered by tater chips as we didnt catch a one. we also caught three bass, one going around four lbs, one about two and one about a lb. 7 catfish, one a real bruiser going around ten lbs, one about 7 and the rest around a lb or two. we threw all the bass and catfish back as one of the guys with me was keeping the fish and he dint want them, just the crappie. the bite was slow and sorta drawn out, but nobody minded as when the bite come they was slabs for sure. we also lost around a half dozen at the boat due to carelessness on our part. wed probably lost more if we hadnt had two nets, one at each end of the boat to keep em handy as we needed em. dint want to need a net at the front of the boat and it was at the back. in that big sea ark it takes a little time to get a net from point a to point b. anyway, looks like things starting to pick up again after all this rain
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Rango , were you guys on the channel or back in a creek?I know Kunes says he has been doing good on coves right off the channel.I havent been in two weeks but Im looking to go this weekend.The last two times out were a bust with only a few fish to show for our troubles.But like you said in your post ,even when they were sparse they were big for the most part.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

uncle den Guest

Default Question

Hey, I'm new to night fishing and haven't fished Wylie in several years, although I live very close by. I'm planning on going out tonight for my first night excusion. I'll put in at Nivens Creek. Anyone with any suggestions on a place I could go to maybe catch a few fish? Also, any suggestions on methods and materials would be greatly appreciated.
    Uncle Den

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big "E"
    Hey Rango , were you guys on the channel or back in a creek?I know Kunes says he has been doing good on coves right off the channel.I havent been in two weeks but Im looking to go this weekend.The last two times out were a bust with only a few fish to show for our troubles.But like you said in your post ,even when they were sparse they were big for the most part.
    we was in a very small cove just off the main channel. It looked real good on the map cause it was very narrow cove with steep dropoffs on each side, with a creek channel leading directly into the river channel a few yards off. three good things to look for in a spot. two steep dropoffs facing each other over a deep creek channel that leads directly to the main river channel a few yards out the mouth of the cove. a couple miles north out of the allison creek mouth on the nc side.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rango , I think Im gonna take a cue from you guys and try to find something similar to what you're describing.That 4lb. b"ass" must have been fun on an ultra light huh?Even more so with a 10lb cat.By the way ,do you remember what you paid for your wind socks?I have to get some for this cat tournement in sep.Eric.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big "E"
    Thanks Rango , I think Im gonna take a cue from you guys and try to find something similar to what you're describing.That 4lb. b"ass" must have been fun on an ultra light huh?Even more so with a 10lb cat.By the way ,do you remember what you paid for your wind socks?I have to get some for this cat tournement in sep.Eric.
    Eric I got those socks over at bass pro. I think they was around 55 bucks each. they have different styles and different prices. you need to match the sock to the boat length. that bass last night come to the net pretty quick. the catfish was more stubborn. took me awhile to get him to give it up. Ive been thinking about going up to James and fishing a night or two before long. in addition to bass, catfish, etc you are liable to catch walleye and several different kinds of trout.. that would be an interesting mix for sure. i used to fish up there a lot when my sister was alive as she lived up that way. dont make it up anymore. i guess the last time was about 15 year ago.