Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone out there make oxtail soup?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone out there make oxtail soup?

I come from the Midwest and oxtail soup was made by vitually all families when I grew up. It was basicly a good amount of broth, with the oxtails cooked in it and meat removed like you would a smoked hock, with tomatoes, celery, carrots, onion, and a little of most anything was fair game. Mom would grab a handful or small remainders in bags or boxes of pasta, rice,
    pearl of barley, etc.....she passed in '93 and I have made batches of it purely by memory and it tastes right, looks right, am quite happy with it but just curious if anyone made it or had variations of what I use?
    Thanks for any attention this is given.
    Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I even know what an oxtail is! Is it really the tail of an Ox?
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

I have eaten Ox tail that has been baked in the oven and it was quite tasty.
    Dude, your cork's under.

Post Thanks / Like

Default oxtail

I seen some in the local Ingles just the other day. Whats the recipe might give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

oxtail soup rocks

lifestudent55 Guest

My wife is from Korea and she likes to cook a Korean version of oxtail soup. I've noticed oxtail must be real popular cause it's gotten pretty expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anchorpuller
    I'm not sure I even know what an oxtail is! Is it really the tail of an Ox?

Yes, tails of beef cattle.

http://homecooking.about.com/library.../aa052002a.htm

Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

shoer, when i was carryin the mail, i had an old black lady on my route whose house i usually arrived at around noon time. over the years we became great friends and she fixed me a lot of different foods that was quiet tasty for lunch. pig ears, lights, tripe, chiterlings (actually right good fried, but i couldnt handle me the way she liked em, which was boiled), chicken feet,( dint care for em) polk and crissy greens, ox and pig tails, and my favorite pigs feet. the only way id ever eaten pigs feet was the pickled kind you find in a jar, but stewed pigs feet with a little hot pepper are delicious. :D. anytime id come a cross a critter, fish or herbs id take it to her and shed fix it. if she could get her hands on it, shed make some great eating outta it. she was in her mid eighties, had nothing but that old chair she set in facing the door. she was an alcoholic and could put any sailor to shame with cuss words if she was mad. shed wait on me every day. id carry her mail in and hand it to her and chat with her a bit before resuming my route. shes dead and gone now, but that old woman could naturally born fix a lip smacking meal outta stuff most folks would turn their noses up at.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I have a recipe I got from a chef at Boma restaurant (African themed restaurant at Disneys Animal Kingdom) e-mail me and I'll be glad to send you a copy. My family andf friends who have had the pleasure all Love it.

PG

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yum Yum

Meat to the left

Just like Mom made. If anyone wants recipe holler, will PM it or put it up here.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja