Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules for lake temps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rules for lake temps

As it warms into spring, which side of the lake will warm first?

north side of lake , banks facing south?

south side of lake, banks looking north?

East or west side?

Thanks
    -Arnie

Post Thanks / Like

Shallow, protected coves with dingy water on the north side of the lake generally warm up the quickest.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

A mud bottom warms a little faster than a rocky bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Shallow, protected coves with dingy water on the north side of the lake warm up the quickest.
    Jerry, I know this is suppposed to be true, but why do we catch'em first in a place we call "Clear Hole", which is back water that is 3-5' deep and crystal clear ? The dingy coves are the next place we catch'em. I aint trying to contradict you.... just have always wondered that. This "clear hole is protected on all 4 sides with a small inlet that s curves into the cove. The fish in this cove will show up the last week in Feb. and can be caught until there until bout the 2nd week in March, if they last that long.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be spring fed flushing some warmer water into that area. I know that on the river wherever theres a spring feeding in it's a likely place to catch fish.

Post Thanks / Like

In some cases the south bank will have warmer water than the north. It is not the rule but it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minnerman
    Jerry, I know this is suppposed to be true, but why do we catch'em first in a place we call "Clear Hole", which is back water that is 3-5' deep and crystal clear ? The dingy coves are the next place we catch'em. I aint trying to contradict you.... just have always wondered that. This "clear hole is protected on all 4 sides with a small inlet that s curves into the cove. The fish in this cove will show up the last week in Feb. and can be caught until there until bout the 2nd week in March, if they last that long.
    Hey Minnerman:

One of the great things about crappie fishing is that there are exceptions to every "rule". They'll certainly keep your interest trying to figure them out. When you think you have them figured out and know what they are going to do and when you better check the opposite - they'll surprise you more often than not. Keeps things interesting!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minnerman
    Jerry's right. with one exception that I have found, If the water is clear and the bottom dark and shallow the water will worm up faster than muddy water. I find this alot in the natural lakes up north, the sun will actually worm the bottom of the cove.

Charlie Hildreth

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yep it's the North bank.

The sun is in the southern sky and directs its rays on the north bank at more square of an angle and thus the water warms a little quicker there. We were out on Jan. 12 and caught three limits trolling in 6 feet of water on Chicamauga lake in Tennessee. It's colder now than then and needs to warm a little. The water temperature was 54*F and the sun was bright on that Saturday. I heard that the water temperature now is in the 40's. I can't say for sure as I have not been able to get back out.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always heard the same. North bank facing south warms fastest. But here on my home lake, the southern part of the lake has feeder creeks and is often the first place to find warmer water. It's also the shallowest section of the lake overall with large wooded flats, which I'm sure that has something to do with it. It's usually a little more stained too, and mud bottomed.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast