Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keel Protector

Post Thanks / Like

Question Keel Protector

Got a glass boat the the keel is getting a little nicked from beaching on rocks.
    Anybody got any ideas which is best, Keelshield, Keelguard, Hamby light maybe there are others. I have heard that the dealer installed Hamby is probably the best protection, but I would like to stay under $150. bucks and can install it myself.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Keelshield on mine and it works great. Had it installed at the dealer so don't know how much trouble that was. Not sure of the exact cost but it was under $150.

Take care,
    Greenfish

Post Thanks / Like

Hamby's Light gets my vote 3 years on a 19' glass boat and beach on the ramp every trip. Self install was easy, but prep to the letter of the instructions.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I have had both,,,,, the Hamby is the ONLY way to go. Yes it's prolly 2 times more but that's the way I would go. IMO. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a keelshield brand four years ago and installed it myself. I put the boat indoors for several days to warm to room temperature and then followed the instructions. Mine has worked great and is still in fine shape.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a keelshield on my boat and it near flip the boat when it came loose. I used a heat gun, scrapers to finally get all the glue off. Then rubed it down with solvent to remover all the glue, then applied herculiner coating. I put on several coat to where it is @ 1/8 thick. Total coat about $50. When I have any problems with scraps I can simply touch it up. A waste of good money on the keelshield. Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 01-10-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hamby's Light would be my choice of the self-installed products. Hamby's is now a part of Megaware, makers of Keelguard. Both are made of the same stuff, but the Hambys has a groove down the middle which makes it easier to form to your boat. Follow the instructions! The surface must be lightly scuffed with the pad provided (or steel wool) and CLEANED THOROUGHLY with alcohol and a soft cloth or sponge. Once the adhesive has been exposed, do not let it touch the hull until you are satisfied it is EXACTLY where you want it. After it makes contact, it cannot be moved. Safest way is to peel the backing as you go, pressing out any air bubbles and tapping with a rubber mallet.

I've got a Hamby's light on my Champion and it is as tight as the day I installed it two years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Keel shield

Where can you get this product Hamby`s light?????:

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.hambys.com/

This is Hamby's home page for all their products. Click on "Hamby's Light" (on the left side of the page). You can order directly from the factory. They are most helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello Trihull

Hello Trihull, If you would like to purchase a Keelshield just send me a PM and let me know what boat length you have and I will quote a price for you. I have run Keelshields on my boats for over 7 years now and have had know problems.

Bill Braswell
    Team Keelshield/Triton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast