Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Impeller question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Impeller question

I appreciate everyone's help and suggestion regarding the leak I discovered with the lower unit...I've had to work a lot this week and still not had a chance to address the issue but hoping by this weekend to have it figured out.

That brings me to my next question, while I'm in this preventive maint mode, I was wondering how often you should replace the impeller. The last time mine was changed is going on about four years now. Someone told me they should be replaced every couple years or so. Is this correct?

My in hull transducer for the new graph came in today, so after installing it I'll only have to pack my trailer bearings and investigate the lower unit leak. Should be good to go after that. Feels good to give the boat a good going over before the spring. Even put a fresh coat of wax on her......

Post Thanks / Like

"They" say to change it out every year, and replace the entire water pump every other year.

If you've gone four years, I'd go ahead and get the water pump kit which includes the impeller.

Post Thanks / Like

Default impeller

I changed mine after 2 years and it looked fine still even after running in the sandy SC rivers. I would change it dvery other year or every year if running in real rough stuff with a lot of trash in the water. Impellers are cheap and power heads are expensive, so if I were you I'd slap an impeller in it. If the housing and base plate aren't scored up and look good, I woul reuse them. make sure to bend the impeller blades the same way they were when you took it out or you risk breaking one the initial startup when they get slammed back the other way. If the gasket looks good, I'd reuse it too. Mine looked brand new so I left it alone. About two or three compressions is about all a fiber gasket can take. I've got a Merc., so I'm not sure about other brands, but they are all similar and be careful of your shift shaft if equipped. Getting one out or time is a pain!!!! Mine has separate linkage, so it is not an issue. just my .02. see ya

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use to change mine every spring but they always looked so good that I have gone to every 2 years. Its really cheap insurance and easy to do after you have done it once.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va