Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split shot, or not....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Split shot, or not....

When fishing deep, do you guys prefer to use a heavier jig or stay with a light jig and place a split shot above the jig to help get it down?
    Thanks
    sethook

James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above.......

Post Thanks / Like

we use 3/32 teezur jigs with a #2 split shot but earl brinks has some heavy splits that work well if wind is blowing or you need to stay exact.
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If I am in open water or find the fish suspended over the brush, I like a lighter bait with a split shot above it. If I have to root them out ove the brush, I can feel a heavier jig bump the brush before I get hung up in it.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRPEPPER
    I like a lighter bait with a split shot above it.
    Same here. The jig falls much more naturally that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use split shot and try to keep it about 8" above the bottom hook or jig if I'm using a slip float. But if I wanna know where the bottom is then I use a 1/2 oz weight on the bottom and hooks all the way up.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sethook
    When fishing deep, do you guys prefer to use a heavier jig or stay with a light jig and place a split shot above the jig to help get it down?
    Thanks
    Depends on what is considered deep. My home lake, deep is 15ft. I use a heavier jighead. On Ky lake, where it's much deeper, i peg a 1/2oz slip sinker about a foot above my jig or bait, fishing 25 to 30ft depths.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 1/4 oz barrel sinker with a cut-off rubber band doubled thru it above my jig. Have a little sticking out both ends and when you pull on the ends you can slide your line thru and rig up the sinkers at home. That way I can slide it up and down my line plus it does not pinch my line, At the end of the day I run it down to the jig and don't have a lot of loose line to worry about.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Any weight above jig will kill or hinder the rising bite weightless rod tip feel or bobber indication.
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gone fishin'
    Any weight above jig will kill or hinder the rising bite weightless rod tip feel or bobber indication.
    Are you talking about lift bites? A weight above the hook/jig lessens a lift bite but does not wipe it out. I'm confident I'm seeing all my lift bites, and I always use a weight above the jig. That enables you to use a lighter jig which is always preferable, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Only use weights above my jig if im trolln em, other than that I like to just go with a bigger jig!
    Mr. Plucker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast