Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oxygen meter

Post Thanks / Like

Default oxygen meter

anyone usa a oxygen meter to determine oxygen levels at different depth, thought bass pro sold them can't find one in my books. anyone help

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

are they worth the money

Post Thanks / Like

Check the reviews on those items at Cabelas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harleyrider04
    anyone usa a oxygen meter to determine oxygen levels at different depth, thought bass pro sold them can't find one in my books. anyone help
    You might want to think about an instant temperature gauge instead. Cabela's has one called Clinefinder that I use. Great for finding thermoclines. From what I understand, crappie avoid oxygen levels below 4 PPM and a sharp temperature change of 1-2 degrees over a couple feet of depth indicates a thermocline, below which oxygen levels can fall dramatically. Has the added benefit of allowing you to measure true water temp at different depths as opposed to just surface temp. During the early spring and during spawn, I find that feature useful. Anyway, not sure of the use you had in mind, so thought I'd give you an alternative. They're not cheap--I think about 140 or so at Cabelas.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for information I heard fish were more active in high oxygen water, the lake we fish is deep very little structure, we mark fish from 7ft to 25 ft.. Thought I might could locate highest oxygen levels and fish that level or start there. Most of the fish are supended in deep water.

Post Thanks / Like

Thermocline should show if any sweet/bad water occurs
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harleyrider04
    thanks for information I heard fish were more active in high oxygen water, the lake we fish is deep very little structure, we mark fish from 7ft to 25 ft.. Thought I might could locate highest oxygen levels and fish that level or start there. Most of the fish are supended in deep water.
    I've tried to attach a file that shows what I'm talking about--don't know if it'll work. This is from a Corp of Engineers web site. You can see the correlation between temperature and O2 at 35 feet. This lake has a thermocline at about 25' in the summer, but it's dropping and will eventually breakup when the lake finally turns over. Also, the cline can be different in different parts of the lake.
    Last edited by fished-out; 12-13-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default temp/sensor

Minn Kota MKA-39 Water Temperature Sensor.works ok so far when not in use i keep in storage box in ziploc bag.
    i marked the drop wire in feet , paid around 20 bucks for this unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick comments

Just a quick .02 on the subject.

The units in the Cabela's catalog are about worthless from a dissolved oxygen standpoint. They are simply programmed to show the correlation between oxygen saturation and water temperature and not reflect the true O2 reading. If you want a tru oxygen meter that is accurate you'll have to start in about the $400 range and go up from there from one of the many scientific suppliers.

As for temperature, the Cline-Finder mentioned above is the best for the money. Again, not necessarily cheap at $140 but a good quality and reliable (read accurate) unit.

As for D.O.'s usefulness in fishing, it is pretty small in my opinion. If fish won't go below a certain level because of low oxygen and end up suspending, its much simpler to just cruise across the lake and find what that level is with a good depthfinder :D

As for water clarity, the universally accepted standard is a secchi disk. One can be had for about $35-$40 dollars. I keep one in the boat with me at all times. Not really necessary, but if you want something to track changes in your water or between lakes, its what you need.

-T9
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast