Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 2-Battery Question??

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2-Battery Question??

Would I be able to use a trolling motor battery and a starting battery to run a 24-volt trolling motor wired in series??

Post Thanks / Like

I would think you would need a 24 volt capable trolling motor.Im not sure.And 24 volts going to your starter might not be a good thing.
    I PRACTICE CATCH & FRY---DONT EVERYBODY ? Thumbs Up

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face You could ....

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    Would I be able to use a trolling motor battery and a starting battery to run a 24-volt trolling motor wired in series??
    but you probably wouldn't want to !! Assuming you are referring to using a deep cycle TM battery and a cranking battery .... neither of which would be connected to ANY 12V accessories ... you WOULD get 24V to the trolling motor, but you'd probably destroy the cranking battery (and maybe even the deep cycle one) in the process.

What you WANT .... is two deep cycle trolling motor batteries, same size/power/etc, and both of them being near or exactly the same age (in use time, if not actual age) ... hooked up to the 24V trolling motor ONLY. ALL the other electrical accessories, big motor included, should be run off a 12V system to eliminate any possibility of frying any of the electrical components ... blowing the fuses ... melting the wires ... starting fires ... and other "uncool" things.

The only "scenario" I can think of, where doing what you're suggesting COULD BE considered ... is IF you have only these two batteries in your boat, and the big motor conks out, and you have a 24V capable Trolling Motor, and it's the only way "home". EVEN THEN ... you'd have to make sure that the batteries were sending 24V to ONLY the trolling motor, and NONE of the other electrical accessories onboard.

... cp

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You could do it but like CP said its really not recommended.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

len. the neg side of a 24v system dont discharge as much as the pos side i would put the cranking battery on that side. also the neg side battery is the one that will run the 12volts acc off of. a battery dealer will show you how it's done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camo john
    len. the neg side of a 24v system dont discharge as much as the pos side i would put the cranking battery on that side. also the neg side battery is the one that will run the 12volts acc off of. a battery dealer will show you how it's done
    Both batteries in a 24V system discharge at exactly the same rate. You can run a 12V item off of either battery.