Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MORE CRAPPIE FOR THE FRYING PAN (Pic)

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink MORE CRAPPIE FOR THE FRYING PAN (Pic)

MORE CRAPPIE FOR THE FRYING PAN is possible if we would take a deep breath and just slow down. I dangled my jig motionless beneath my bobber letting the waves undulate and move the marabou. We had just had a nice cold front here in the Birmingham area and I knew this was the time to strike. It was calm, sunny and chilly for this area. I was using 1/32 and 1/64 jigs that move slow and P.O. the fiiish into attacking it. Result, 28 nice keeper crappie. Smallest was about 11 inches. :D :D :D A crappie will almost hook itself if you are fishing slow. Here is a drawing of my setup. The key is to slow down then slow down some more! Nine times out of ten slowing down will put more food on the table. Take it from "Old ship" and slow it down.:D :D :D :D

Last edited by shipahoy41; 11-07-2007 at 06:44 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ship, sounds like you got 'em figured out. How deep of water was you fishing and how deep was you running your jig?
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in 12 feet of water and set my float at 5 feet. Wood laydown and rock bottom. Dress warm, it was only 60 today. It will be 36 degrees tonight and 70 for highs on the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Ship what was the water temp there?
    Man I hope I get to catch some fish Friday. LOL
    Sure need to feel that thump.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pete,

Where I was at Lake Mitchell, the water temp was about 51. Had to stay just near the cove areas due to the wind. Air temps were in the 60's but it felt much cooler due to wind. Got to finish my honey do list and make some jigs for my orders. Lord willing I'll get back out by Saturday if I'm not watching Auburn and Alabama footoball game.

It is 28 degrees here this morning. I'd say that is a cold front. Crappies should be putting on the feed bag again this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Ship, I tell everyone You Can Not Move To S L O W for Crappie!!!!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DENNIS BOWERS
    Ship, I tell everyone You Can Not Move To S L O W for Crappie!!!!!
    AMEN !!! Dennis you are so right. When you think you are going slow, slow it down some more. You have to seduce a crappie. They will NOT CHASE a bait and they want it dangling in their strike zone while they look at it and see if they want to bite it. They do not attack a bait. They will look and then just inhale it.

BE SEDUCTIVELY :D :D :D :D SLOW :D :D :D :D and you'll catch more Crappies.

Last edited by shipahoy41; 11-07-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ship. I will be fishing way above you this weekend. But every bit of info will help.
    Also Had a guy tell me, That when your fishing for crappie in the fall or winter. Fish slow. As in dead slow. Let it set there until they just have to have it.
    If we just finished a big steak dinner, And were full as a tick. And someone offers us a piece of cake. Your going to turn it down, Let them set it by you with a fork on the plate. Your going go take a bite after its keeps on sitting there. That is just like a crappie, Let it sit there for 2 minutes and a crappie will hit it. And even have extra minnows hanging out of its mouth. ( Joe if you read this here is your credit on the cake ideal. LOL)
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41
    They do not attack a bait. They will look and then just inhale it.
    ... all the more reason to have a minimum amount of the float sticking out of the water. The more the float sticks out of the water, the more resistance the fish feels and the more likely he will reject the bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I weight my floats to the point that theres a 1/2" left out of the water. That way if they pick it (And that is what most do) I see it and if they pull down. They can not feel the float. But I can see what is going on.
    I like mine to be weighted to the point that a 1/16 oz split shot will almost take it under.
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast