Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weiss Advice?

Brian Guest

Default Weiss Advice?

I have a first time trip planned to Weiss around the 20th of March. We are staying around the Bay Springs Marina area and are fishing without a guide. We are going to have to learn the lake as we go, and ask fellow fisherman for tips when we arrive. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Get A guide

Consider what a trip is going to cost and what can be the results on a strange lake with a lot of hazards and ability to find fish on first trip I would consider a guide for first day. There are several available.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    I have a first time trip planned to Weiss around the 20th of March. We are staying around the Bay Springs Marina area and are fishing without a guide. We are going to have to learn the lake as we go, and ask fellow fisherman for tips when we arrive. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

We are going to weiss the 24th - 27th. I have never fished there but I'm not hiring a guide either. Topo map and depth finder is good enough for me. That is part of it to me. Finding the fish myself.
    I can't find any info on campgrounds in the area. Any help would be great.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation here's where I've stayed several times ....

http://www.jrsmarina.com/

They've got some good guides there, too.

I've fished mostly in the Little River area (close by JR's Marina) and the creeks and bays surrounding the Marina. Done pretty good, too. Depending on the current conditions - trolling with jigs along the channels, casting jigs to wood & docks, or a minnow under a float are the main methods.

BE CAREFUL !! Weiss Lake is FULL of shallow stump beds and sand bars/flats that are all over the main lake. The lake map may show you where the stump beds are ... but the sand bars shift position. And it is no easy feat to follow the channels, even using a map ... the lake is fairly large and open, and you can easily get disoriented (as to your actual position).

Here's a link with some info "links" (like campgrounds) that you guys might find helpful -- http://www.outdooralabama.com/fishin...ervoirs/weiss/

IMHO ... unless the weather takes a drastic turn to scorching hot .... by the time you guys go - the fish should be staging on the creek/river channels. My fishing partner was there a couple of weeks ago, and they were catching them scattered in the 4-6ft deep flats (probably prespawn feeding during the warm spell). They caught them slow trolling jigs. They were lodged at JR's, but did not fish the Little River area (fishing not good enough there, at that time). Weather for the next 10 days is supposed to be between 50 and 70 degrees with a few days of rain.
    Hope some of this info works for ya'll ............ luck2ya ..........cp

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going to weiss 7-9-05 thru 7-13-05 i have fished weiss several time I am staying at bay springs also i will start out fishing yellow creek i am a slow troller
    I will be fishing the channel breaks in the creeks if no luck in yellow creek i will try little river.If the weather cooperates should be able to catch fish. always have before.
    I will post results when i get back
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Place to stay on Weiss

Hey guys check out this site.
    Good fishin around the docks ... CrappieUnlimited has put over 100 stake buckets out just a cast away from the docks. Right across from a great Resturant "Fibbers" all you can eat buffet... grandma style.

check em out
    www.weissmartmarina.com
    www.crappieunlimited.com

thanks
    Dockshooter
    Dock Shooter

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

well I won't starve with the grandma cooking lol
    I plan on eating my fish each night but I am way to lazy for cooking Bfast

Quote Originally Posted by dockshooter
    Good fishin around the docks ... CrappieUnlimited has put over 100 stake buckets out just a cast away from the docks. Right across from a great Resturant "Fibbers" all you can eat buffet... grandma style.

check em out
    www.weissmartmarina.com
    www.crappieunlimited.com

thanks
    Dockshooter

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fibbers

Was reading an old post and read your comment about this restaurant.
    We were down there last weekend, but did not find this place.
    Where is it located?
    By the way we did catch a lot of nice fish.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by dockshooter

check em out
    www.weissmartmarina.com
    www.crappieunlimited.com

thanks
    Dockshooter

Post Thanks / Like

Joe
    It is right across the road from Weiss Mart Marina in Cedar Bluff...
    um um GOOD...
    Last edited by Kelly Matthews; 10-22-2005 at 07:13 PM.
    Kelly Matthews
    Weiss Lake Guide Service
    www.weisslakeguideservices.com

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I fished Weiss I didn't get a guide either and caught planty of fish I always stayed at Big Oak Campground (its been a few years).Just take your time and watch the deptfinder In March the fish should be getting ready to hit the banks There is one place in Little River as you go in on the left hand bank the creek channel turns 90 degrees we loaded up there three days in a row actually two days and one nite All the times i went i thought the fish was every where Once in October we had to fish deep out on the main channel The channel is easy to find just watch your dept finder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast