Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Logan Martin 2/26/05

Post Thanks / Like

Default Logan Martin 2/26/05

Fished in Rabbit Branch and Clear Creek Saturday afternoon. Got only a few crappie under boathouses & docks in Rabbit Branch, at least they were mostly 1.5-2#. Got nothing in Clear Creek except for a few small males in shallow brush in the upper end of Clear Creek. Wind was not high, but was from the East. It was cloudy and water temps. were a little lower than during afternoons earlier in the week. Temps were mostly 52-56, with a high of 57 on the top end of Clear Creek where I caught the small males. I didn't fish deep because my little boy was along, but I saw a lot of suspended fish at the mouths of the two creeks in 25'-35'. I suspect that the weather pushed back to deeper water the fish that started to move up last week.The weather forecast says we will not have another warming trend until next weekend and that one will be weak.

ashvillerob Guest

I see several people who fish Logan Martin, you guys do not actually eat fish from that lake do you?

Post Thanks / Like

Why Not? Worked like a mule all of my life,Smoke 2 1/2 to 3 pck's of Camel's aday,Drink a gallon of milk aday.Eat all the grease food I can.
    I'm sure not afraid a fish is going to kill me.LOL.>>>>Bentpole

ashvillerob Guest

I think you were kidding a little bit, but sadly most people think the same thing, saying "I have never gotten sick from the fish".

The problem is that fish contaminated with PCBs are not going to make you sick. The PCBs accumilate over a period of time and then 5-10 years later you have cancer(and never relise it was the contaminated fish you have been eating). There is not the "possibility" of cancer, its a documented fact, PCBs cause cancer period.

Monsanto Chemical Company in Anniston dumped PCBs into Choocoolooco creak for years before they were caught. The EPA confirmed that Logan Martin and all downstream lakes were contaminated, the sad part is that the State of Alabama is so scared of the bad plubicity that they do not properly warn fisherman not to eat the fish.

It dosent matter if you are eight or eighty, PCBs will cause cancer, if you don't care at least think about your family.

Post Thanks / Like

Rob: I'll agree about PCB,Will cause cancer,But it has been several years since Monsanto dumbed it.How long does it last in the waters? or fish as far as that goes.
    Thank's Mark,,,
    P.S. I see you are from Ashville, I live up on Straight Mtn.

Post Thanks / Like

Twentyfive or thirty years ago they had pcb contamination in the James River in Virginia. They spent two years dredging out contaminated mud and hauling it away. They still have PCB there. I don't think it ever goes away. Could be wrong and sure hope I am because I've eaten a lot of fish out of Logan Martin.

ashvillerob Guest

Actually from what I've read the PCBs are like a sludge (kind of like the consistency of a motor oil and sand mixture) they are heaver than water and sink to the bottom of the lake and remain there forever, they do not deteriorate or dilute very easily. This is bad because they never go away, but in a way it’s good because it does not have the ability to contaminate the water upstream of the dumping area. So in theory if a fish lives his entire life upstream of the contaminated area and never eats any other fish (or other food source) that has not been below the contaminated area then it should be completely PCB free.

From what I understand the state decided it would not be cost affective to dredge the contamined areas because there is no guarantee that all the PCBs could be removed. It is a really sad situation with no remedy.

The Monsanto dumping was uncovered do a local fisherman in the 80s who was fishing in the Choocooloocoo creek and caught a nice size large mouth that was severely deformed. This individual happened to work for the EPA and had the fish examined by biologist and discovered it was due to high levels of PCBs. Choocooloocoo creek empties into Logan Martin just downstream of the I-20 Bridge so theoretically everything downstream of that creek is contaminated. Although the PCBs themselves are not likely to have moved freely enough to have flowed down river to Lay lake and further, it is highly likely that small fish, crawfish and other food sources that were contaminated have over time been washed down river and the cycle continues as other fish eat those fish ect. Very sad.

I suppose that bottom feeding fish such as catfish, stripers, hybrid, and white bass are the most likely to be contaminated, but who knows.

I think the state has done ahorrible job of informing the local fishermen of the dangers. I see people catching and keeping catfish below I-20 all the time, that is pretty scary.

Yeah Mark, I bought a house between Ashville and Odenville this past summer, so I am trying to learn Neely Henry, its been tough so far. I am pretty much just a Bass fisherman, but I do fish for crappie when they are biting good.