Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Douglas Turnover ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Douglas Turnover ?

Looks to me like what little bit thats left is turning over.
    "Dude, where's my float?"

Post Thanks / Like

what makes you think the lake is turing over, the lake up at dandridge is stained bad it is moveing down the lake McGuire creek looks good & flate creek also

Post Thanks / Like

At #2 its greeny yellowish yucky looking. Maybe just me. TVA guy thought it was, but take that for what its worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you going Wednesday Booger?

Post Thanks / Like

no, going in the morning to flat creek the fish are bigger than McGuire creek but not got the numbers.

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

hey booger you better leave sinkums fish alone
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about some of the water color either, but it is not turning over yet, water temps still too warm.

What is meant by "lake turnover"? How and why do lakes do this in autumn and spring?
    • The key to this question is how water density varies with water temperature. Water is most dense (heaviest) at 39º F (4º C) and as temperature increases or decreases from 39º F, it becomes increasingly less dense (lighter). In summer and winter, lakes are maintained by climate in what is called a stratified condition. Less dense water is at the surface and more dense water is near the bottom.
    • During late summer and autumn, air temperatures cool the surface water causing its density to increase. The heavier water sinks, forcing the lighter, less dense water to the surface. This continues until the water temperature at all depths reaches approximately 39º F. Because there is very little difference in density at this stage, the waters are easily mixed by the wind. The sinking action and mixing of the water by the wind results in the exchange of surface and bottom waters which is called "turnover."
    • During spring, the process reverses itself. This time ice melts, and surface waters warm and sink until the water temperature at all depths reaches approximately 39º F. The sinking combined with wind mixing causes spring "turnover."

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I figured it was too hot. Its getting that funky color again though. TWRA posted a couple of weeks ago that Tellico had turned over. Its still ugly down there. Who knows what it is.