Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: sparce acorn crop

Post Thanks / Like

Default sparce acorn crop

theres no white oak acorns around here this year. they got wiped out by that big freeze back in the spring. plenty of reds tho. red oak acorns come from the previous years spring bloom. wont be no reds next year. just hope the whites dont get wiped out again. it must be natures way of insuring theres at least a few acorns each year for the critters. the squirrels are tearing the reds up. plenty of em to pick from. the .22 is tuned and ready to go..... no muscadines around here either. the deer gonna have slim pickens for sure.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at my oaks Sunday. I got white and red, and there ain't an acorn to be found in my yard, or in the woods around it. I'm putting out 25 lbs. of bird seed a week and the coons and the squirrels are eating it all up. The problem is, the wife won't let me harvest them FAT squirrels. An old farmer told me one time "I plant a little for the Lord, a little for me, and a little for the little animals." I guess that about says it all.

Post Thanks / Like

I got lots of acorns being harvested by the gray furry devils - I am also putting some corn out as well - got me a stump with a good back rest on it about 1/4 mile behind the house - me and my ole dog will be there in about 2 weeks to obsrve the fuzz tails - have to sneak around and catch the wife gone to Wally World and cook them because she would freak out if she saw mw bring a squirell in the house
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I always hate when there is not a good acorn crop. It makes early season hunting tough.

Post Thanks / Like

We got a problem here, too. Got acorns on pin oaks, but nothing in them. Dry weather? Got a few white oak acorns and a few saw tooth. Hickory nuts are sparse, also. The deer still have plenty of browse. Fescue looks real good right not. Some of it stays green here all winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willsjwills
    We got a problem here, too. Got acorns on pin oaks, but nothing in them. Dry weather? Got a few white oak acorns and a few saw tooth. Hickory nuts are sparse, also. The deer still have plenty of browse. Fescue looks real good right not. Some of it stays green here all winter.
    We had an Easter freeze that killed all the new growth on the oak trees, all the peaches, and apples. We haven't had any decent rain since July 4th week. All the lakes are so low, the ramps are closed. We've had a heck of a summer. I was coming to work this morning at 4:00 a.m. and it was 72 deg. I'll be glad when La Nina goes away.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not complaining. I hunt fields mostly for deer so they'll have to get up and move this year instead of staying deep in the woods. They didn't hit my food plot until February/March last year. Maybe we'll get some rain for the food plots and cool weather for me. I'm gonna be hitting the woods all next week for as long as I'm able.

Post Thanks / Like

i wish id had my muzzleloader this morning when i took my walk. i was walking down the drive and across the creek, at the bottom of the hill, a single wire powerline crosses the road. when i crossed under the line i looked up on the hill and there about 40 yds was a nice little basket buck. he stood there for a minute or two and watched me, turned and went on into the woods. only bad thing about havin my rifle is id probably spent the rest of the morning messing with cleaning it which reminds me why i dont care to hunt em anymore. too much work :D
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...