Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dreher Island State Park on Murray

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dreher Island State Park on Murray

Taking the family camping there in a few weeks.

Is there any good fishing spots around the park within range of my kayak?

Crappie catfish :p striper , I like 'em all, just so I get to wet a line and bring a few back to camp to toss over a fire (if there's no burning ban). It's always fun to look like a hero to the wife and kid and bring back a stringer full :D

Heck, I'd even enjoy hanging a bowfin if there are any in Murray.

Thanks,
    B
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught many of nice cats around Dreher Island out in front of the swimming area in the main river run(Big Gap). I used scaled and fillet gizzard shad cut in about a sq. in. cubes on trot lines and on rods close to surface at night. Caught many 20 lbs+ fish. Bream can be caught all around the island. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

caught a few crappie around the island--next to the villas
    Get the net!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice.

Is the water pretty deep by the islands?
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

If you go off the point of the island that is a good spot for striper. I have also caught them in the gap that leads from crystal lake to the main lake. It gets narrow and deep. The striper should be heading up that way about now. Watch for schooling striper in the morning and evening. The lake temp has dropped 5 degrees in the last week and the fish are starting to school up on the surface. Back in Crystal Lake under the Dreher Island Road bridge is a good spot for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice. It looks like the perfect island to yak fish from. lots of deep water right off the island according to the satellite images. I can't wait to get there and wet a line.

Is Crystal Lake the body of water to the west of the Island?

Post Thanks / Like

East, but maybe I am wrong on my names. But the place I am talking about is east of the island. You have bait right on the water at Just Add Water (AKA Birds). He is a good guy and will put you on fish.