Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: lake russel

Post Thanks / Like

Default lake russel

Had a guy that fish Russel today(sat), said they found a missing boater thats been missing seen the rain storm the other night (thursday), 2nd hand he said the guy hit a marker and the boat flipped. just wandering if anyone else heard anything. later

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't heard that and I hope it's not true. One thing about the markers in Russell, if you hit them they are not going to move. You have to be careful on Russell, some areas only have small lanes going throught sumerged trees and of course the channel markers.

Post Thanks / Like

It's true I just heard about it this evening.
    THe fellow lives about 5 miles from me. He fishs mainly at night and by himself. I haven't heard the fulll story . So far what I got he hit a shoal Marker.
    Last edited by beagler; 09-15-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

that is terrible-sounds like you have to be paying attention on Russell
    Get the net!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knappy
    that is terrible-sounds like you have to be paying attention on Russell
    I havent been home this weekend to hear that story. That doesnt sound good. On Russell it would be good for you guys coming to fish the clash to get here in plenty of time to do a little looking before dark on the nite of the clash. In water I dont know, I always go out before dark to see where all the bouys are at so I'll know what to look for coming back in (no GPS yet). Hopefully, and it's worked for me so far, I'll remember what to look for on the ride back in at night.

Alot of people dont like Russell. They think it's too un-safe. But the fact is the lake is well marked and I like that better. In the trees, the corp left channels to run in with plenty of markers to stay between. If you get outside these channel markers going up thru the timber you need idle speed ONLY with your motor trimmed since alot of the timber above the water line is gone BUT the stumps are still there. All the places I have seen (that's about all of them other than the Little River arm) that have timber in the creeks are marked saying so and a well defined channel to run in.

If you aint careful and attentive, accidents can happen. They do happen. I'm sure it's the same way on other lakes. Oconee is another lake I like to fish from time to time and I think it's more dangerous than Russell but that doesnt keep me away. I'm just attentive as I can be and careful. No need to be running wide open everywhere. Bring your maps guys and I'm sure the locals can help you out letting you know some areas you'll need to be careful in. Really it aint that dangerous but you gotta respect those signs and bouys. If they say submerged timber or shoals you can bet they are there. All creeks are well marked and the water is plenty deep. We wont have any problems!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.