Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #3 Catman in the Country!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default #3 Catman in the Country!!

I just got word that Ron Howard of Kings Mountain, NC came in third at the Cabelas King Kat Classic at Milford Lake in Kansas!!

Some of you may remember that Ron fished one of the crappie rodeos at Lake Wylie earlier this year from his pontoon. Ron is also a member of the Carolina Catfish Club.

To my knowledge he was the only angle from the Carolinas that made the trek to Kansas to compete.

Congrats to Ron!!

Post Thanks / Like

WTG Ron, its always good to see a Carolina Boy do good agaisnt the Nation !When I 1st Started Tournament Fishing for Crappie, A Friend of Mine Sonny Bundrick told me"Allen, once you can compete with the people in this area you can compete ANYWHERE in the USA " I have come to beleive this as well !

Post Thanks / Like

WAY TO GO RON!!!!

Come to a CCC meeting and meet Ron and others who love to fish for catfish both big and small. There is no obligation to join.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of know how mixed with a good dose of luck is a great formula for any tournament. Sometimes the home field advantage can work against you in a fishing contest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Catnip
    A lot of know how mixed with a good dose of luck is a great formula for any tournament. Sometimes the home field advantage can work against you in a fishing contest.
    I grew up here in Little Mountain & my Family has always been huge fishermen/women & they fished ONLY Lake Murray as did I till I started fishing Tournaments , Then I started to venture out to other lakes within the state & then the eastern us .I have to say I have done WORSE at Tournaments while fishing Murray than any other lake that we fish .I blame that on when you know a lake as well as I do Murray You are ALWAYS second guessing & thinking of "that spot that Mama & Daddy caught em at 25 years ago " & end up spending more time runing up & down the lake than fishing lol

Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly what you mean bro. I have taken some floggings here on Wylie fishing for cats and I live very close to the lake and fish it all the time. It is easy to over think how to catch catfish and sometimes you outsmart yourself

Post Thanks / Like

back when i fished the crappiethon tournaments i was a big time troller and thought i was pretty good at it. this was in the 80's and i was a rooster with a loud crow till them guys would come in and leave me wondering what the heck happend :D. nevertheless we hung with em for a lot of years and never won anything. winning the big tournaments is tough and to place third in any national tournament is something to be proud of. my congratulations to Ron on his win.
    Last edited by rango; 09-11-2007 at 06:19 AM.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Ol' Ron has done amazingly well on the lakes he has never fished. He rolled into the King Kat on Pickwick last year and was in third place after day one, but fell off a bit in day two. He still finished 9th, and out of over 100 boats that is pretty amazing. Just ask ol'd Mudkip, he finished 10th a couple of years ago on Santee iin the King Kat!!

Maybe one day ol' Wyliecat can pull off a top ten!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42
    WTG Ron, its always good to see a Carolina Boy do good agaisnt the Nation !When I 1st Started Tournament Fishing for Crappie, A Friend of Mine Sonny Bundrick told me"Allen, once you can compete with the people in this area you can compete ANYWHERE in the USA " I have come to beleive this as well !
    allen i will have to agree with you. the crappie fisherman we have around here is some of the best in the country

Post Thanks / Like

Cograts Ron! I too agree with Allen, i call it the home lake disadvantage. And yes the best crappie fisherman are from NC/SC/GA. Thats why i call a lot of them my friends including Allen
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast