Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Murray Stripers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Murray Stripers

Ten boats left the docks at YC at 6:00 and return about 12:00. We were all trolling. The total weight from all boats were 148lb. The winners weight-in 5 fish weighting 37llb. there kicker fish was 10.5 pounder. They won it all $450.00. At 6:00 we had a fish fry at the club house. The lake has turn over and as the water cool the stripers will go swallow in coves and points ,Top water lures will be the ticket.

Post Thanks / Like

I was out saturday night and the only herring I could keep alive were on freelines. I guess this is because of the turnover. Only caught one striper down about 60'. I think I should have been trying up top more.

How do you know the lake turned over, what are the signs. I know the surface temp was still 85. I would have thought the surface would cool when it turns over.

Post Thanks / Like

When they move in like that an you still troll with the bucktails and plugs and catch them??? How deep do they usually try to go to when the lake turns over??

Post Thanks / Like

When they move into the coves most use surface plugs (pencil poppers, striper delights, etc.) or freeline herring and planer boards. You can also still run down rods but set them at 10 to 20 feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Change to top water lures, Red fins broken back in chrome/blackback, chrome/blueback Troll in water from 5ft to about 10 ft. A good place to do this is out from Jake Landing Lexington side of the lake. If you have a map find marker 6A also from Jake all the way to spence islands, cover all the points . Also cast red fins just like you would for bass. Take a 1/4 jig head and put a 6" white or pearl worm and cast around humps and points. Some time you might need fish as deep as 20ft. THe fish kill this year was bad, at last count DNR said that over 1200 fish was kill in the mouth of Aug, and still counting.

Post Thanks / Like

I was out Saturday and did not see any signs of new death. Only saw two floaters that looked like they had been dead a few days. Also guys were catching fish at 35' tied off to the towers. I think/hope the fish kill is over. Also, most of the dead fish seemed smaller (18"+-) Two years ago there was a lot of big dead fish, and a lot more of them. 1200 seems like a lot but I bet fisherman took out way more in August than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Striperdogg, what size red fins would you suggest? I'll be using them for casting and using behind planer boards? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by striperdogg
    Change to top water lures, Red fins broken back in chrome/blackback, chrome/blueback Troll in water from 5ft to about 10 ft. A good place to do this is out from Jake Landing Lexington side of the lake. If you have a map find marker 6A also from Jake all the way to spence islands, cover all the points . Also cast red fins just like you would for bass. Take a 1/4 jig head and put a 6" white or pearl worm and cast around humps and points. Some time you might need fish as deep as 20ft. THe fish kill this year was bad, at last count DNR said that over 1200 fish was kill in the mouth of Aug, and still counting.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by steelytom
    I was out saturday night and the only herring I could keep alive were on freelines. I guess this is because of the turnover. Only caught one striper down about 60'. I think I should have been trying up top more.

How do you know the lake turned over, what are the signs. I know the surface temp was still 85. I would have thought the surface would cool when it turns over.
    When the upper water column, that part of the total column above the thermocline, gets heavier than the the water under the thermocline , the lake will turnover. The heavier water column above the thermocline pushes down through the total thermocline and the bottom portion rises mixing the two columns that have been separated by the thermocline. All the waste, it smells like rotton eggs, from the bottom gets to the top and the oxygen is depleted. Hence a fish kill occurs as the stripers who are most affected die. The lake will cool rapidly as the bottom comes to the top but will gradually normalize again with temps once again rising gradually till it starts to cool normally with cooler nights and days as the sun moves to the southern sky. The fish kill should be over now. I saw hundreds after 8/14 through 8/31. Most of them were smaller fish but there were some larger ones in the 25 inch range. You should still be able to catch them in the bowl till late September then they usually start to head for shallow water, 12-20 feet or so on points. Later they they will move futher into the coves as the water temps continue to fall. Schooling fish should be visible by late September through December. Thats how I try to read them.

Post Thanks / Like

The fish kill was not caused by the lake turning over. If there is a lake turnover on Murray it would happen when surface temps are much cooler later in the fall or early winter. Right now the density of the surface water is not greater than the cooler deeper water. With surface temps in the 80's now, and deeper water temps in the 60's-70's, the denser water is still on the bottom.

The kill was caused by "the squeeze". That is what the biologists call it when there is a narrow area of depth where the oxygen and temperature is optimum for the stripers to exist. It seems to always happen this time of year as the oxygen is depleted, temperatures are at their peak, and water flow is minimal. The "squeeze" affects the smaller fish more than it does the larger ones. Its another biproduct of trapping stripers in lakes.
    Last edited by Wyliecat; 09-13-2007 at 05:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

6 to 7" long,I landed 4 keepers while cast with a white with red head wed in shallow water off a point. I'm not an expert on the lake turn over, but I live on murray and fish it all most every day from stripers to crappies to brim to shellcrackers. I know the condition of the lake every day. The cove I live in will fill up with bait this time of year and the stripers will follow. Also by Oct, the crappies will move in around the docks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast