Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hey Moose1am

slab_seeker Guest

Default Hey Moose1am

Have you had time to test Reel Magic on your aquarium crappie yet? Kinda wondering how that's going to turn out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default reel magic

Well I must have forgot about doing that test. Sorry. I got the reel magic out and was going to put some on a minnow and see if the crappie would eat the minnow but then I decided to read the ingredients listed on the can. They list Petroleum Distillates as an ingredient. I fear that giving PD to the crappie would not be good for them. Since I want to see if I can keep them alive I an not going to feed them any PD.

Another way to do this experiment is out in the field. Using two baits spray one with the RM and keep the other bait clean. Then see which bait catches the most fish.

Quote Originally Posted by slab_seeker
    Have you had time to test Reel Magic on your aquarium crappie yet? Kinda wondering how that's going to turn out.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

what kind of test are you running I've had a crappie in my aquarium for 4 months. Kind of keeping him until the water on my lake cleared up. Now he is a pet gets to eat all unused minnows after a day or nights outing. Would'nt mind experimenting with him though let me know.

slab_seeker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shores
    what kind of test are you running I've had a crappie in my aquarium for 4 months. Kind of keeping him until the water on my lake cleared up. Now he is a pet gets to eat all unused minnows after a day or nights outing. Would'nt mind experimenting with him though let me know.
    Hey shores, earlier in the year some people on here said to spray Reel Magic on the to minimize line problems. Well, when I got a can it looked more like a lubricant than a line dressing and I was just wondering if it affected the crappies or other fishes willingness to bite that bait.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Hey shores, earlier in the year some people on here said to spray Reel Magic on the to minimize line problems. Well, when I got a can it looked more like a lubricant than a line dressing and I was just wondering if it affected the crappies or other fishes willingness to bite that bait.
    Slab Seeker - I've used Reel Magic for many years ... but on the line that's wrapped around the reel spool -- not the bait/lure itself. It is a "line dressing" of sorts ... basically silicone ... to make the line "slicker", and thus cast farther/easier. It also can be sprayed on the line guides of your rod, to make them "slicker" ... again, to aid in casting distance and ease. For those who fish "hard water" or during the winter - spraying the guides helps keep them from freezing closed. I've never really "experimented" with it ... in a controlled situation - but I can tell you that I've caught fish, with recently sprayed line, many times ... ! Do I think Reel Magic works ? - yes, for what it is intended for ... Do I think it affects a fish's "willingness to bite" - can't say ... if they don't bite, I don't know they're there ...LOL!! On the other hand ... those that did bite didn't seem to be "affected" (negatively or positively ... that I could tell). I wouldn't recommend using it as a
    "lubricant" (ie spraying the insides of your reels with it) - best to use the proper grease products on the gears and Quantum Hotsauce on the other "moving parts"....................cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Answer to the Question Finally

Yesterday I went fishing and caught 15 white crappie. I sprayed Reel Magic on all my lines before I left. The propellant in the Reel Magic didn't seem to scare off the crappie that I was catching. I also used coppertone sunscreen and got it on my hands. I didn't have any soap to wash the sunscreen off my hands so I bet that some of it got on my jigs and my crappie nibbles. But that didn't scare off any fish either from what I could tell.

Most of the Reel Magic is silicon while just a portion of the mixture is petroleum distilates.

Regards,

Moose1am

slab_seeker Guest

Thanks for giving it a try I havn't been in the right situation for me to experiment yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Yesterday I went fishing and caught 15 white crappie. I sprayed Reel Magic on all my lines before I left. The propellant in the Reel Magic didn't seem to scare off the crappie that I was catching. I also used coppertone sunscreen and got it on my hands. I didn't have any soap to wash the sunscreen off my hands so I bet that some of it got on my jigs and my crappie nibbles. But that didn't scare off any fish either from what I could tell.

Most of the Reel Magic is silicon while just a portion of the mixture is petroleum distilates.