Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dove season is here....

Post Thanks / Like

Default dove season is here....

with dove season coming in today, i was curious as to what is the most shells anyones shot on a dove field in one day?
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

well I use to go out and shoot a little never a great deal but folks turning this thing into a drunkin social event with guns kinda turned me against dove hunting - we use to have to go out to several locations on opening day because folks disrespecting all others having lead shot falling on the roof of homes in the area and they are throwning beer cans all over the place - I like a taste as good as the next guy - well I admit I like it better than most - but I don't start shooting guns - I don't over indulge while on a boat either because you never know what you might get into on the water - in the ocean alcohol will never touch my lips - dove hunting is like everything else you have a few that try to ruin it for all
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    well I use to go out and shoot a little never a great deal but folks turning this thing into a drunkin social event with guns kinda turned me against dove hunting - we use to have to go out to several locations on opening day because folks disrespecting all others having lead shot falling on the roof of homes in the area and they are throwning beer cans all over the place - I like a taste as good as the next guy - well I admit I like it better than most - but I don't start shooting guns - I don't over indulge while on a boat either because you never know what you might get into on the water - in the ocean alcohol will never touch my lips - dove hunting is like everything else you have a few that try to ruin it for all
    when i dove hunted alcohol was never a problem on the fields, but we dint hunt public fields. we always hunted our own fields and wasnt no drinking going on. i havent done any dove hunting in years so dont know how it goes now, but aint gonna be no drinking on a field if i got anything to do with settin up...:D

Post Thanks / Like

When I used to dove hunt, I would take two boxes of shells and most of the time I shot most of them and most of my shooting was shooting "at". I enjoyed going, but the doves didn't have much to worry about. :D

Post Thanks / Like

They must know it's dove season too. I walked outside a minute ago and I bet there were 15-20 flew out of my front yard and I hardly ever see them out there. They must know even if I brought out a gun, they were still safe. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I used to hunt them alot in Tx on private land. Loved it. Couldn't afford more than a box or two of shells a day. Mom-in-law used to coat the breasts in flour, brown em and cover with onions and some water and simmer covered for a hour or so.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kunes
    I used to hunt them alot in Tx on private land. Loved it. Couldn't afford more than a box or two of shells a day. Mom-in-law used to coat the breasts in flour, brown em and cover with onions and some water and simmer covered for a hour or so.
    they are good cooked in rice to. or par boil em till they done, then wrap em in a piece of bacon, skewer it with a tooth pick and grill on the grill. and have some good cold amber handy...

Post Thanks / Like

the most i think i have ever shot at one time was also the most i have ever killed in a day , the feild was a old field was a older field ,15-20 acres i would guess , the kicker was it had a new clearcut that wrapped around the field , , the clearcut was grown up in mosty poke berry bushes & the field was planted in browntop & had strips plowed in that & it had been top sowed with wheat . I was at the head of a draw /hollow & the doves came in droves right over me . it was before i had a dog, I reloaded my own shells & had taken 200 shells in the field & prolly shot 150 or so, I picked up 42 dove & quit shooting because i was give out !! it had rained the 2 days before & i had mud almost to my knees !! the guy next to me picked up 48 , he had a golden & she did not miss a brid !! That was the day I figured out that I really wanted a trained dog !!We never allowed alcohol till the guns were put away

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A long time ago we used to get out riding and scouting for doves. Well, we found the mother-load, but the problem was the land owner wouldnt allow any hunting. Seems his neighbor didnt get along very well with this guy so he did it in spite and allowed us to shoot right across the tar-gravel road in his soybeans. We just had to make sure we were across the ditch and none of the doves shot landed in the guy's fresh cut millet field cause we couldnt get them off his land without getting prosecuted. We tried not to tromp his beans down but that was near impossible hunting down doves in waist high soybeans all day. Middle of the afternoon I had to strip my gun and field clean it so my automatic would work again. The barrel was so hot at times it'd burn ya if it touched flesh. We had guys that picked up over a hundred, but mind ya, those guys were some good shots on doves. I dont know how many our crowd together (10 or 12 of us) killed but I shot 10 boxes of shells myself. I think I picked up over 60 and lost about half that many more in the beans. Heck, I even had a game warden pick one up for me and almost stepped on a limit of birds getting to me. :D Everybody blasted shells all day long from noon till sunset. That was along time ago, before the days of people charging hunters to get in their fields and before it became a federal offense for breaking dove hunting laws. Them neighbors musta hated each other because on that next Monday after Labor Day 4 of us went to the other side of that same small millet field and shot 20+ more doves shooting out of the man's backyard (same man that owned the beans.) That was, by far, the best shoot I'd ever been on other than crow shoots.

The beer drinking came after the doves were cleaned and going into the oven.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Dove shooting for me is either I am on or I am not. I went this past Saturday and shot 12 birds, the limit, with 20 shells. One of my on days. I like to dove hunt as it gets me going for the up coming hunting season and allows me to get my lab out for some work. We hunt a small field with four of five guys. Its a great time for renewing the hunting spirit and getting to shoot your shotgun that's been in the case for several months. If you have a field to get on I highly recommend it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast