Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where are the fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where are the fish?

Well, I'm off work for the next two weeks and am ready to pull in some crappie. What are the tactics that y'all are using in this current weather? The rivers and lakes where I live are so high that it's hard to even get in them, but I'm ready to try anyway. Any news on Raccourci Old River at Innis other than it's really high? Guess the fishing will pick up within a couple weeks with the rivers cresting today and starting to fall by tomorrow. Anyway, how deep are the crappie right now? What are you using to catch them? Are you even catching them?

Post Thanks / Like

Davy.......

There are crappie being caught here in NE Louisiana, mostly from the lakes rather than the rivers. They are being caught on both jigs and minnows generally in 10 to 12 ft. of water. In fact, a fishing buddy just caught a crappie that could have been the new state record, had he not filleted and ate it. He is not feeling real good right now. Go click on the brag board and see "Caroline and Dad's Slab" and click on the "photo"link to see the fish. Not many reports coming in right now, but a few that I know are catching some but no big numbers. Maybe one of the members from around your area will see your post and give you a closer report......NE Louisiana won't be much of a help where you live. If there is a lake within reasonable distance it might be a good place to start.

Best of luck.....

Louisiana Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lakes

There are a few lakes in my area. I may try one or two of them. However, even the lakes are high and muddy down here. Guess I'll try to find some less muddy water and fish structure in the 10-15 foot depths. If I get to something I'll post it. Meanwhile, it's mostly catfishing for me. I don't have a boat of my own, so the lakes are hard to crappie fish in. My father does have a boat that we may take out next week sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

We fished this evening in Bayou Teche.Water was high and muddy.1 bass and 1 catfish.No sacalait.Fished water depths of 10-25 feet with bass assasin tiny shad titelined and under slip corks.
    Jim and Tammy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hogpen Lake

Went to take a look at Hogpen Lake on Three Rivers WMA today. Didn't get in the water there, but it's a beautiful if small lake and not high and muddy like the other lakes in my area. It's not connected to the rivers, so that's why it's in good condition. There are reports of it being a fine sacalait and bream lake, so I may try it next week when I can go with someone else's boat. Anyone ever tried it or even heard of it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hog Pen Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Barr
    Went to take a look at Hogpen Lake on Three Rivers WMA today. Didn't get in the water there, but it's a beautiful if small lake and not high and muddy like the other lakes in my area. It's not connected to the rivers, so that's why it's in good condition. There are reports of it being a fine sacalait and bream lake, so I may try it next week when I can go with someone else's boat. Anyone ever tried it or even heard of it?
    Davy,
    I live about 25 miles from Hog Pen Lake and have fished it many times. The Red River does connect to it, if the river is high enough, which only happens at extremely high levels. When it does, it seems to replenish the lake and the fishing is great. At this time, with the heat on, I'd give the middle of the lake and also Long Bayou, a good try. The whole complex is shallow and the fish seem to go to the deepest part in the summer. The water there is shallow. Deepest may only be 5 feet deep. Try the bass fishing too. Above all else, carry a camera. You won't find a better place to see big alligators. Good luck. Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. I've seen my share of alligators and don't know if I want to see many more of them - at least intentionally! The most I know of are in Moreau Lake on Three Rivers. I didn't realize that Hogpen was connected to the Red. Also didn't know it was so shallow. It stands to reason that they will be in the deepest part there. I sure plan to give it a try sometime. My dad goes fishing with me a lot and he has a pretty large boat with depthfinder and all, but sounds like that's too shallow a lake for that boat. Guess we'll take a small 10 footer with a trolling motor to fish it. We'll fish for anything that bites, bass including.