Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I need help finding crappies!

MR1800 Guest

Default I need help finding crappies!

Hello all my name is Bob and i'm from Detroit,MI. I would love for someone to guide me to fishing spots around my area where I can find crappies. Please help! There is nothing better in the world then watching that bobber either go down or travel all over the place! If you know of some places or internet sites that will help me let me know.

slab_seeker Guest

Default Welcome to NC Crappie

If you can't what you need on this site you probably don't need to know it. You need to let us know what area you are going to fish before we can help.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bob,

I don't know if I can be of much help in your area - not knowing the type of lake you'll be fishing.

I would guess the spawn is over there by now. If the surface temps are staying much above 70 degees it probably is. After the crappie come off the beds they will stack up on points and drop-offs around established brush piles or whatever cover they can find with deep water nearby. When the surface temps start staying over 80 degrees (assuming it even gets that warm up there) they will start moving deeper.

Right now we are catching them about 11-feet deep in 15 to 20-feet of water around brush piles on points that extend into deeper water.

Check for any current fishing reports you can find in the newspaper, on-line or at your local bait and tackle shops to find out where the crappie are being caught, the depth there being caught and what they are being caught on.

See if there are any crappie fishing clubs in your area that you can join. If there are any crappie fishing guides in your area it would probably be well worth it to take a guided trip or two to see how crappie are caught on the lakes in your area. If you have a handheld GPS ask the guide if he minds if you take it along and mark a few of areas he takes you.

Hang around the boat ramp late morning or just before dark and ask people loading their boats if they've been catching any crappie. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask if you can see their catch and BE IMPRESSED with the size or numbers or just the fact that they caught some.

Most anglers love to talk about fishing and will help you if they can. Don't expect to find out exactly where their honey hole is but get as much general information as you can.

This time of year I would recommend small live minnows under slip floats, especially if you can find some Rosy Red Fathead Minnows. If the bait shops don't have them try Walmart or local pet stores. They usually sell them for feeder fish for larger fish, snakes and reptiles.

If you ever get a chance to come down my way I'd be glad to put you right in the middle of a mess of crappie and show you how we catch them here.

I've been studying the little boogers for about 18 years now and I still have a lot to learn. But by putting in my own brush piles and following their seasonal patterns we can usually find a good mess most any day of the year.

FISH ON!
    Jerry
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default State boards

Try one of the state boards here at crappie.com. there's one for MI and one for IN. Might be some fellows there than can help you out on specific locations rather than general knowledge. I'm new to crappie fishing myself, and kind of dumber than a rock about fishing in general. I had a fellow guide me for a 1/2 day on Bugg's Island in VA and it helped me alot. He showed me how to fish the bridge piers, laydowns and brushpiles. So a week ago I go to a new lake a couple hours from home and low and behold there's a big highway bridge across a bay with lot's of piers. We head right for it and wham the wife picks up a big crappie right away. Well we hung around those piers for about 4 hours and had 1/2 dozen nice keepers not counting the throw backs. Of the 1/2 dozen other folks I talked to at the landing, no one else had done any good that day. maybe I'm catching on to something, Heh?