Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Murray Report 8/20

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Murray Report 8/20

Fred and I got to Murray at around 6PM Monday for a night fish for striper. We trolled over more marked fish than I have seen in the bowl there between Spence Island and the dam. No takers. The lake was rough so fishing was gonna be tiring. We decided to head for the towers before dusk since it was so rough and tying to them is hazardous in those conditions at night.... set up and started downling with dead bait. T he 5 dozen herring we had and all were dead. The bait tank filtration and aeration motor had failed sometime after we got on the lake. Make a long story short we downlined with dead bait till daylight today. We only caught three keepers. Met some guys from Mt. Holly and Gastonia sitting next to us so we had a good time anyway. They caught their limit plus gave us four keepers to boot. Brought back seven so with the friendship, the meds, and the all night fish we had a great time. Total catch of the two boats was 17 keepers. What a break for us. The lake was not so nice though as the wind blew harder till the white caps were breaking against the towers. Ran all the other boats out of the main channel so we had the towers between three boats and it was still rough. When Fred and I got out of the truck this morning we both had lost our land legs. We still felt the motion in our heads from the boat rocking that lasted 12 hours. Checked my bait tank motor and it had sucked a part of a herring up into the filter and impeller and had stopped the aeration. Bad break but still got fillets for the freezer.
    Last edited by Iamfishing; 08-21-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great trip.I learned to ski there in the 70s,Hope i am able to fish there again soon.

Post Thanks / Like

if you take a piece of foam window air conditioner filter and wrap it around the intake of your motor and secure it with a couple rubber bands or a piece of wire it will eliminate anything like that gettin sucked into the motor and jammin it.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I've been working to much lately and haven't been crappie or striper fishing since the last trip to Murray last October. It was my first striper trip to Murray and caught a few on top water lures. I'm trying to take some time off soon and was wondering what the best time of year is to fish for top water striper's on Murray and Wateree.
    Last edited by icebox; 08-22-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by icebox
    I've been working to much lately and haven't been crappie or striper fishing since the last trip to Murray last October. It was my first striper trip to Murray and caught a few on top water lures. I'm trying to take some time off soon and was wondering what the best time of year is to fish for top water striper's on Murray and Wateree.
    Generally we look for schooling stripers in the late fall through late December. Murray has been sort of disappointing however as the abundance of herring has reduced the schooling actions on Murray. I think its because the herring stay so deep. On Wateree where threadfin shad are the dominant bait fish the Stripers still school actively. Early Morning or late evening however when the water really cools down they can be active all day long on Wateree. I am usually hunting this time of the year so most of my striper fishing is spring and summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    if you take a piece of foam window air conditioner filter and wrap it around the intake of your motor and secure it with a couple rubber bands or a piece of wire it will eliminate anything like that gettin sucked into the motor and jammin it.
    Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Iamfishing, I sent you a PM , Hope you dont mind. Trying to learn more about fishing.