Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logan Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Logan Martin

Fished from 7-10 AM this morning just inside Clear Creek and Rabbit Branch. Didn't have alot of bites around docks, but caught 12 legal fish, and four were over 2 pounds. Using minnows about 4 ft deep.
    Last edited by lmc; 03-21-2005 at 08:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info is appreciated, have been trying to learn logan martin this year and happen to be concentrating on the same coves--also had some luck in the mouth of clear creek.
    Thanks again,
    Michael Holden

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you

Greatly appreciate the info, have been learning logan martin since jan. Have been concentrating on the same areas you mentioned and further back in the cove with most catches of good crappie in the mouths.
    thanks again
    Michael Holden

Post Thanks / Like

Default Logan Martin/Rabbit Branch/Clear Creek

Despite the North wind and slightly cooler air temps today, I got a few good crappie under docks in Rabbit Branch. I started at the mouth and worked up the creek fishing docks on the west side. I never got more than one from a given dock, but they were quality fish, including a 3#.

The deep ledge off the island at the mouth of Rabbit Branch has held lots of deep suspended fish all week at 20'-30'. I've caught quite a mix there: stripers; white bass; spots; crappie and catfish. I think the fish are staging on the ledge, filling up on shad and waiting for a little warmer water to head up the creek. Surface temps at the mouth of the creek were 53-54 today.

If you fish mostly the Rabbit Branch/Clear Creek part of the lake maye we should compare notes. I'll probably be out tomorrow afternoon with my wife and little boy. We have a black & grey boat with a 100 Mercury. Say hello if you see us.
    Don R

Post Thanks / Like

Will be in that area sunday, hopefully rain & thunderstorms won't be to bad. I'll be in a silver G3, Yamaha motor w/my buddy, give me a hollar if you see me, trying to track the crappie leading into spawn. Did not see many fish or activity in the further back portions of rabbit or clear earlier this week so guess their still staging in the mouths.
    See ya
    Michael Holden

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Logan Martin today,Me & my fishing buddy brought home 50 nice ones.released about 20-25 good one's.Got them on Black & chag jig's in about 10- 15 feet of water.most of them had egg's in them.>>>>Bentpole

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentpole
    Fished Logan Martin today,Me & my fishing buddy brought home 50 nice ones.released about 20-25 good one's.Got them on Black & chag jig's in about 10- 15 feet of water.most of them had egg's in them.>>>>Bentpole
    Sounds good, bentpole. I need to learn how to fish those jigs. I usually just flip minnows.

I've been after bass lately, but I did catch one big crappie yesterday back in Clear Creek on a tenn shad minitrap. Surprised me, she must have been really hungry.

Don R: I'm in an older red 17 Nitro.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by lmc
    Fished from 7-10 AM this morning just inside Clear Creek and Rabbit Branch. Didn't have alot of bites around docks, but caught 12 legal fish, and four were over 2 pounds. Using minnows about 4 ft deep.

where is Clear Creek and Rabbit Branch. where do i launch to get to it. i normally lauch at the town and country gas station and fish that old road bed out there. I've caught a lot of slabs out there. I also night fish out there. It's a good spot but i'm always looking for better.
    Hey where's my float.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clear Creek & Rabbit Branch are on lower end of lake

Clear Creek and Rabbit Branch are major creeks off the lower end of Logan Martin, about 5 miles down from the Cropwell Creek area where Town & Country and Lakeside Landing are located. Rabbit Branch is on the west side of the lake. Clear Creek is on the east side. A map will show marinas with ramps in both creeks.
    I haven't fished the Cropwell area much, so I can't say that it is better or worse than either Rabbit Branch or Clear Creek. I suspect there isn't a lot of difference except that Rabbit Branch may warm a little faster because it is shallower and protected from winds off the main lake.
    I may spend more time in the Cropwell area this summer because the old highway 231 roadbed looks promising for trolling. I used to do a lot of trolling using "spoonplugging" methods developed by Buck Perry. I have an old box of spoonplugs around somewhere and I am intrigued by the idea of using them on that old 231 roadbed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rev.
    i normally lauch at the town and country gas station and fish that old road bed out there. I've caught a lot of slabs out there. I also night fish out there. It's a good spot but i'm always looking for better.
    Rev.: It's been many years since I fished for crappie in that area, but I know there's an old roadbed in the slough just out from the Big Bull that used to be very good for staging fish. Don't know if it's the one you're speaking about. I know there's another further out in Cropwell Creek.

If you're having good luck, I'd stick with it. If you get bored and want to try something different come down the lake.

Don R: Weird you mentioned spoonplugs, I thought about them last night. First read about them, I think, in Outdoor Life mag. I just looked and he has a website. We used to catch some nice summer fish trolling those roads in Cropwell. That was back in the old days, when finding them was the hard part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast