Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do I catch bigger crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default how do I catch bigger crappie?

How do I catch 'em bigger?

The biggest one I ever caught was 1-3/8 pounds, 16" long. And catching her was just dumb luck during the spawn.

Any advice?

Post Thanks / Like

A crappie that weighs 13/8 pound is a monster for a Sandlapper to catch. They'll be happy if they bring in one that size during the clash.
    But getting back to your question your better off going to the Georgia BD they'll tell you how to catch SLABS.
    Last edited by beagler; 08-15-2007 at 07:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagler
    A crappie that weighs 13/8 pound is a monster for a Sandlapper to catch. They'll be happy if they bring in one that size during the clash.
    But getting back to your question your better off going to the Georgia BD they'll tell you how to catch SLABS.
    I would be happy to learn in Georgia. Do the slabs stay on the left side of the state line in the Savanah River lakes?
    Last edited by have-a-crappie-day; 08-15-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't fish Hartwell. But on Lake Russell the SC side doesn't have any true slabs just a bunch of dinks. I don't know what it is but the fish have better sence then to stay on the SC side of the Lake.
    Last edited by beagler; 08-15-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A good starting point would be to read Rango's article I know it's helped me.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by have-a-crappie-day

The biggest one I ever caught was 1-3/8 pounds, 16" long. And catching her was just dumb luck during the spawn.

Any advice?

What lakes are you fishing? Are you night fishing or day fishing? What kinds of places are you night fishing in? Depths? Ever fished during the winter months? (Usually catch my largest of the year during these months.) etc.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagler
    You are one cold-blooded individual Beagler.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by horseshoer
    You are one cold-blooded individual Beagler.

The coldest Shoer. My blood is ice cold.. especially when it comes to the Lappers. THere going to loose there money and when this clash is over they can join NC on the defeated list. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Any advice?

I smell a peach trying to set up the masters of crappie fishing :rolleyes: but you did ask the question on the right board cause everyone even a peach know SC may not have the biggest crappie but the ones that are in the lake will get caught but the masters on here. :D :p

But to try and answer your ??? in a sentence right now aint the best time of year to catch much in the way of crappies but if you can find some deep brushs or trees I'd give them a try in the morning or last light of day.

But stay with it cooler weather is coming along with a spanking to them peachies at the clash that should be a showcase of learning for you GA. boys...
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

Post Thanks / Like

Any advice?
    Several ways to increase your chances of hooking a Slab. Bigger baits is a start. For example My biggest 3lb 9oz bit a 1/8 roadrunner head w/2 1/2" tubelike plastic tipped with a medium 2" shiner so the bait was around 5" long with a blade. That is a mouthful! the people trolling crankbaits catch bigger avg crappie=bigger bait..
    Cold, nasty, overcast, even rainy, winter weather. My biggest fish come on ugly days in winter. Pre spawn crappie are fattest of the year. When you find them stacked up in creek mouths in late winter they are easy to catch a limit. Look near these schools for isolated cover a single stump or rock something a little different. Work these spots. It is hard to leave fish biting within a jig cast from you alone but if you probe around the main schools you will find a biggun. I fish deep water year round. Big crappie live in DEEP water in my opinion. I've never caught a 3+ under 15' water. Most all were 20'-30'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast