Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murray and striper questions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Murray and striper questions?

I've never been a big fan on striper fishing and all. Just because I've gone over 15-16 times and zeroed all times. Next year I'm going to give it another try. Was wanting to start around Feb. 2008. Just curious what the stripers are up to during that time. Are they running up the Saluda, sticking around Dreher, out towards the dam/towers, etc... What about bait, lures, etc.... Is it better to freeline, drift, anchor, or troll with lead core? Day time or night time is best? Just looking for some general help. I've been very unlucky at this Striper thing. Thanks ahead.
    Last edited by 33788; 08-06-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

bb, different methods work better at different times of the year. and its sorta like crappie fishing. theres so many different ways to do it that it would take a big book to describe em all. im no striper expert (actually im no expert at anykind of fishing :D) but we seem to do ok fishing cut and live bait in the river runs in the spring and then driftfishing live bait during the rest of the year, especially in the deeper waters in the summer. in cold weather it would pay to keep a rod equipped with a bait suitable for casting for em when they start schooling. theres always someone posting thats fishing for em and catching em. see what they got to say on their methods and give it a try.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

BB, make a trip to norman in april, and you will be hooked for life :D
    Full day 1/2 day or evening Striper/Crappie fishing trips available at a very affordable price for
    Lake Norman, Badin, Wateree, High Rock.
    Individual maker of the heavy duty "hybrid" A-rig Trolls just like an umbrella rig, Guaranteed to put fish in the boat

https://www.facebook.com/pmmalec Email: [email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/BOLOcharters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 33788
    I've never been a big fan on striper fishing and all. Just because I've gone over 15-16 times and zeroed all times. Next year I'm going to give it another try. Was wanting to start around Feb. 2008. Just curious what the stripers are up to during that time. Are they running up the Saluda, sticking around Dreher, out towards the dam/towers, etc... What about bait, lures, etc.... Is it better to freeline, drift, anchor, or troll with lead core? Day time or night time is best? Just looking for some general help. I've been very unlucky at this Striper thing. Thanks ahead.
    This is how I fish for stripers.........On Murray: Daylight fishing: get to the lake before the sun rise. A. Downline anywhere between the dam and spence islands. Stay in water depths of 100 feet minimum. Downline with blueback herring keeping bait at 50 to 60 feet deep. Use 2 to 3 oz egg sinkers and four foot of leader between sinker and hook.Downline with the wind keeping the boat speed as slow as possible using a wind sock if needed. Try this method until near noon Then try trolling with 2 to 3 oz bucktails using yellow trailers. Troll at 2.5 to 3.0 mph keeping the bucktails at 35 to 50 feet depth using weighted line. Night fishing...Troll with 6 to 10 inch lures that have strong vibration or rattles in them. Start at 7 PM and troll till 10 PM if you do not connect on them switch over to downlining using the same techniques that are used in the daytime except use a strong light in the water. If you don't have a light tie boat to the towers and downline at the towers. Remember to start at 50 foot depth and gradually change depth by 10 foot increments if you don't connect at the 50 foot depth. If they are there they will hookup. Go deeper not shallow on bait till you find them. The best time to catch striper on Murray is now until mid September. Don't wait till next Feb......
    Last edited by Iamfishing; 08-07-2007 at 08:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like good info Iamfishing. Makes me want to head down there.

Post Thanks / Like

i agree,now is the time to be down there,especially at night with lights,a good bite will have ya hooked and coming back for more

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Murray Stripers

Sorry, 33788 we could not hook up last year. Had back and knee surgery and have been down since Jan. Have not fish but have had my friends keep me up on what happen. Several big fish have been caught this year. 21 lb and a 26lber. As you might know, to me their is only one way to fish for stripers and that is trolling, The cost is low and to do not have to worry about keep herring alive. Please, keep a date open next summer, July or Aug and I will take you trolling and promise that you will be hook. In trolling ,we go find the fish instead of waiting and hoping they will find us.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Murray Stripers

Sorry, 33788 we could not hook up last year. Had back and knee surgery and have been down since Jan. Have not fish but have had my friends keep me up on what happen. Several big fish have been caught this year. 21 lb and a 26lber. As you might know, to me their is only one way to fish for stripers and that is trolling, The cost is low and to do not have to worry about keep herring alive. Please, keep a date open next summer, July or Aug and I will take you trolling and promise that you will be hook. In trolling ,we go find the fish instead of waiting and hoping they will find us.

Post Thanks / Like

striperdogg, rafdaddy wanted me to go daow with him monday and go out with you and him but i couldnt make it. if you all get to go out, hope you tie into some nice ones...:D
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I'll definately be in touch SD. Get well soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast