Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas Black Nose

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arkansas Black Nose

I was on the Watts Bar Lake information site and saw that the Arkansas black nose crappie was just recently stocked. Actually just what does this spieces look like.

Thanks,Len

Post Thanks / Like

Looks just like normal Black Crappie but has a black stripe from the tip of it's top lip to the dorsal fin and from the bottom lip straight back under it's chin. They seem to be more aggressive on average than either black or white crappie.

FISH ON!
    Jerry
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Recently ?

Sorry Len ... "Blacknose" have been swimming in Watts Bar for well over 20yrs - maybe they were referring to "re-stocking" ??!! There were some pictures on the Brag Board, on the "old" forum site (but I think those pics are gone now) ... but Jerry is correct - they look like a regular Black Crappie, that someone used a black magic marker on ...LOL!! The black stripe runs from under the bottom lip, up between the eyes, to the top fin ... it's a genetic marker trait. They are also harder pulling than either a White or regular Black Crappie - and are more prone to leaping out of the water !! They're definitely a hoot to catch !! They're often referred to as a "Arkansas" Blacknose ... because they occur naturally, in limited numbers, in the White River of Arkansas, and the Arkansas DNR scientists used them to do population control studies in ponds (they could identify them from the other Crappie species control group). Many lakes in this region of the country have been/are being stocked with them. And I'm sure that, with all the flooding the Southern lowlands and river systems are prone to .... some "accidental" stocking has been done (holding ponds overflowing into creeks, then into river systems and possibly into downstream lakes). ..............cp

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught hundreds of them here in NW Arkansas on Beaver lake never knew they had a different name just thought they were blacks. Thanks for the information.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stocking

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    Sorry Len ... "Blacknose" have been swimming in Watts Bar for well over 20yrs - maybe they were referring to "re-stocking" ??!! There were some pictures on the Brag Board, on the "old" forum site (but I think those pics are gone now) ... but Jerry is correct - they look like a regular Black Crappie, that someone used a black magic marker on ...LOL!! The black stripe runs from under the bottom lip, up between the eyes, to the top fin ... it's a genetic marker trait. They are also harder pulling than either a White or regular Black Crappie - and are more prone to leaping out of the water !! They're definitely a hoot to catch !! They're often referred to as a "Arkansas" Blacknose ... because they occur naturally, in limited numbers, in the White River of Arkansas, and the Arkansas DNR scientists used them to do population control studies in ponds (they could identify them from the other Crappie species control group). Many lakes in this region of the country have been/are being stocked with them. And I'm sure that, with all the flooding the Southern lowlands and river systems are prone to .... some "accidental" stocking has been done (holding ponds overflowing into creeks, then into river systems and possibly into downstream lakes). ..............cp
    Do you know if the Black Nose can be stocked or will survive in Northern Indiana? Thanks, Len

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Indy Blacknose ...

Len, I would think that Blacknose can and will survive anywhere Black Crappie do ... they aren't a different species, or hybrid - just a Black Crappie that has a genetic "birthmark", so to speak. As far as "having" them stocked, or their already being stocked ... that's a decision that your DNR dept people would have to make, or have made. I don't know that they are any hardier than a "regular" Black Crappie, or if they grow any faster or bigger. They do seem to fight a little harder, and they are more apt to jump out of the water on hookset. I've never had a White Crappie or Black Crappie, actually "jump" out of the water - but I have had several Blacknose do so.
    I wouldn't mind having them stocked in some lakes close to me, too. I've heard they are in KY Lake, but never caught one there, in all the years I've fished KY/Barkley. I've also heard they are in Dale Hollow - but have never fished there (just don't like fishing crystal clear water lakes ...LOL!!) I've only encountered them at Watts Bar.............cp

Post Thanks / Like

WoW.. I've Got Them Here In Virginia.. Meherrin River, Nottway River & Private Ponds.. I've Allways Figured That Strip Had Something To Do w/ The Structure The Fish Sat Under.. Sweet.. Now I Know!
    Cast & Watch Your Line Swim---- There He His!

Post Thanks / Like

We have those here in the lake that I fish in Tx. They don't grow as big as the white crappie but ounce for ounce, as many has already stated, they are harder pullers and they will hit a jig a lot harder as well. They do run and will jump out of the water and is a sight to behold. Size wise, they will get around a pound and a half is about the biggest that I have caught or seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Len,
    There are alot of blacknose crappie , dnr has been stocking for the last several years on many of our waters. We started catching them about 4 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Black nose crappie

Name:  0320091706a.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  146.5 KB

Get The Net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast